2) Switch to an appropriate Orthographic view and set the proper Active Grid. I used Front View with the X-grid as I wanted the object to scale upward.
3) Hold the Command key for Mac or Control key for Windows and move the Origin Point (blue diamond - it will be hidden behind the center point marker for the face of the cube but thats OK, it will still be selected and moved properly) to the point you want the object to grow from, down to the base of the Cube for scaling upward in this example.
4) In the Project Window turn on animation for both the Scale and Offset for the object.
5) Set the Current Time Indicator to the point at which you want the object to stop its growth.
6) Press the Command/Control key and Scale the object as desired. The key here is to hold the Command/Control key so the Origin Point does not move proportionally to the scaling being done - it remains fixed to the bottom of the object and is animated to move in the direction opposite to the direction of the scaling being done. This is what keeps the object growing from that fixed location.