!div style="display:none"!edf40wrjww2content:tip!/div!Solution to boolean cut problems seems to work well....
Since 2004 I have tied to solve an intermittent error in the Boolean cut routine of my Strata 3D Pro (now at v4.2). I have tried changing positions of the cutting elements slightly or rotating them about their internal axes but nothing worked all the time. As advised by Brian Lawson (Strata Technical Support) I even changed both the target object and the cutting object(s) into polygon meshes before trying the cut.... but this only worked infrequently.
SOLUTION: However, I may have found a solution to the boolean cut routine errors that occur. I found that by enlarging both the main object and the cutting objects by 500% and converting them to polygon meshes before I make the boolean cut(s) they work perfectly. Then I reduce the size of the boolean object to its original size and the result is still good.
I shared this finding with Brian yesterday and he wrote back,
Thanks for the info. Thinking about it it makes some sense as that would reduce the amount of curvature in any given area and provide for large polygons for the Boolean to work with. I'm sure this will come in handy for other users who run into Boolean problems.
The StrataCafe has a !http://www.stratacafe.com/tipcenter.asp!Tips & Tweaks area where users can post this kind of information. Why don't you post it there. Since you are the one who found you should be the one to receive the credit for it. :-) -- Brian Lawson Strata Technical Support"
So, folks there it is.... I hope this helps you in your use of the Strata modelling routines.