Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  17:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Being a 32 bit program Strata can not access more than 4GB of memory regardless of how much there may be in the computer. Subtract certain overhead requirements and the useable amount of memory left for the program is around 3.5GB.

Try lowering the resolution of your objects before exporting them to Strata.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
support (at) strata (d0t) com
Go to Top of Page

strata_geek
Infrequent Poster

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  17:37:50  Show Profile  Visit strata_geek's Homepage
We're working on some more support for scripted loading of files but it won't be ready for a while. For now I'm afraid you're stuck with loading them one by one.

Strata Design 3D CX is still a 32-bit application so we have a limit on how much memory we can access in a session. It's somewhere around 3.5 gig. But I'm a little surprised that memory can be filled by 200 obj imports. Maybe the individual models are really large? And if there are any texture maps those will be loaded independently for each model which could take up some space.

You can use the "Delete Unused" menu entry in the resource palette to purge unused stuff, but that only works if your shaders really aren't applied to any geometry or your shapes aren't used anywhere.

-strata_geek
Go to Top of Page

eg
A Regular

132 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  18:25:59  Show Profile
Thanks for the info

yes the obj stack i tried was high(ish) rez (3MB to 5MB per obj) the texture is just a default material
I think the app had other issues at the time. it crapped out after the memory message

the file data size was not 3.5GB, maybe 600MB
I think the OS Active Monitor showed Strata using 1GB ram used 1.92 Virtual Memory
is there a way to see the Ram use in strata. to know how close the limits are
(like the Details Panel Info ...model stats view stats)

good thing i didn't try the 17MB obj(s) first

thanks for the help
peace
eg

Go to Top of Page

eg
A Regular

132 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  12:51:13  Show Profile
okay so i tried the 17mb objs to find the memory limit

54 objs at 16(ish) imported into a strata project data size 479.4 MB

160 objs at 5(ish)MB =485 MB data size, Strata file. Ram size 1.6GB VRam 2.59GB

i had my history set to 1

there has to be 500 MB of room in Vram to save the file. even if ram used is only at 2GB

also the suspended render (starting from frame 20 to 150) didn't work with the scrip saved a 10MB file, and rendered the same frame over and over again

Image Insert:

61.78 KB

hope that in the future the can be a setting to go get the obj not have it in the project (like a movie file for a texture ...not part of the strata file)

also maybe a reverse on end of loop option

thanks again

peace
eg

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000