Previous Page
Author  Topic 
Page: of 2

Vojt
Inquisitive

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  11:33:15  Show Profile
Chiming in. Not have Render Pro really, really cuts into productivity. The hugely increased rendering speeds in v6 help, but it's not a substitute for being able to work and render at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

mcramblet
Infrequent Poster

22 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  12:16:00  Show Profile  Visit mcramblet's Homepage
I know that there aren't any plans to release RenderPro for CX 6, according to the answer I saw posted on the Strata website (http://support.strata.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=31&id=197&artlang=en&highlight=renderpro). I, for one, would like to see this reconsidered. Although CX 6 is faster at rendering, I notice a considerable difference between modeling and rendering at the same time in CX 6 as opposed to modeling in CX 5 and rendering in RenderPro, on the same machine. CX 5 was just as responsive when RenderPro was running and working in the background. CX 6 appears to be slow, sluggish and unresponsive when it is forced to also render. In my experience, rendering in a separate application (RenderPro) left Strata unencumbered with no loss of performance. I'm not as productive with CX 6, using it for both the modeling and rendering.

Edited by - mcramblet on 01/21/2011 12:17:00
Go to Top of Page

Vojt
Inquisitive

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  12:39:15  Show Profile
I agree with mcramblet. Although I can quickly render an image in CX6 and get back to work, rendering an animation pretty much stops production dead in the water. It takes too much computing power to effectively render in the background while modeling and animating etc. I am sure I don't understand all of the work it would take to make a stand alone rendering engine, but since the rendering engine already exists, couldn't Render Pro just be incorpated as part of CX6+? I think if people had it they would use it in production.
Go to Top of Page

Martingreen
Infrequent Poster

21 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  07:21:15  Show Profile
From Mcramblet's link...

"There are no plans at this time to release RenderPro for CX 6. There has been less and less demand for RenderPro as Design 3D's rendering speed has increased, and computers have gotten more powerful."

What kind of information has this statement been based on? It sounds to me like wishful thinking on the part of developers.

Yes, Strata 6 is much faster. What it has meant for myself and the other designers that I work with is that we can now render raydiosity still images at a satisfactory resolution and quality in short timeframes to meet demanding deadlines. What we're still not able to do is render animations to a high enough quality with raydiosity because they simply take too long, even when split over all our Strata 6 machines. This means that we have to use raytracing rendering for animations and lose the warmth and sense of depth that raydiosity provides. RenderPro would mean we could use a lot more machines and/or a render farm type scenario to achieve raydiosity animations. It would also have the benefit, as mentioned above, of taking rendering off the machines that we are working on.

Assuming that RenderPro isn't required by Strata users is a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

mwick
Regularly Helpful

Germany
847 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  05:10:00  Show Profile  Visit mwick's Homepage
A long time ago (dont know which version, maybe 2.5 or 3???) Render Pro was just a part of the program in a way you could install and register strata on other machines with "renderpro" as serial. then it worked as a simple render engine.

Markus
----------------------
Strata 3D CX 6.1.1 Mac and Windows
4 Machines with Core i7 860 @ 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, GeForce 9600GT
Windows XP and OSX 10.6.2
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic   
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page