StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

markomark
Infrequent Poster

37 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  17:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emgbeeker

I agree with Wally_B.

Came here looking for news of an update and re-read this thread. While reviewing the postings, I Noticed a feature request I made way back on March of 2013. Can't believe we've gone almost two years without a major feature release! I personally don't consider 7.5 a major release. I know that may sound indifferent to some but I was expecting much more considering the reputation of this product.

We've begun integrating modo into our workflow. I have to say, the interface is nowhere near as refined as Strata Design 3D, but it more than makes up for that with an unprecedented feature list. I don't want this to turn into a praise-post for the competition. I love the accessibility of Strata but we just can't wait another year for meaningful progress in the feature department. I may purchase the upgrade, when it comes, for personal use but I just can't recommend this package for 3D production at our site any longer窶ヲthere's just too many options out there that eclipse strata. Even zBrush has a polygonal modeler now.

A sad day indeed :-(

MODO and RHINO cad ROCK!!
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  17:39:25  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've got a great upgrade coming soon. It won't have every feature that everyone has ever wanted, but I think you'll be pretty pleased.
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  09:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ken. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  21:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be a make or break release. I am hopeful for a classic 3D application.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  12:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last demand if it is possible: shortcuts
why has the edit window not the same base as the main window
specially for the move, scale and rotate tool, makes no sense to have two difference shortcut for the same action in one program.
ps: Looking forward to Strata 8!
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  13:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MATERIALS WITH SETTINGS VERSION DROP-DOWN MENU:

Would be great if the materials offered a drop down menu which "store current settings values" and then you could create versions of the material you're working on.

So you create a METAL TEXTURE with multiple settings versions of reflection amount balanced to smoothness and the other sliders. These would all be contained within the same material, so if you want to test out the various options, you don't have to try and remember how you reached a certain look, without creating a million individual textures.
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  05:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something else that would be BRILLIANT!!!!!

... and perhaps open Strata to a whole genera of After Effects users...

After Effects Element 3D Integration.

Element 3D is fantastic for integrating 3d OBJ models into a video project. However what I haven't been able to figure out is how to export the lighting setup from Strata to After Effects and then the scene in AE looks flat and requires countless hours trying to replicate the look achieved in Strata (which is stunning to say the least).

My current assumed solution is to create the lights as glow panels, as opposed to point lights or spot lights, then when I export the scene as an OBJ, the ground, walls, object, and glow panels will all export, which I can then import to Element 3D.

Additionally the integration would allow all the bump map, reflection map, etc to automatically be incorporated along with complex multiple-layered textures on the OBJ (when stacking textures on an object in Strata).

Would be a neat concept for sure.
Thanks
~ Alldaron
Go to Top of Page

DanBringhurst
Infrequent Poster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  07:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm stuck in the Windows 7.5 version, which is a tad buggy, so I'm not sure what's already been updated in 8. But I use a touch screen laptop and it feels so unnatural not being able to pinch-to-zoom. That would be a nice feature.

Edited by - DanBringhurst on 10/26/2016 07:57:36
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  13:04:21  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a better path for 3D Printing. As it is now, exporting .stl files from Strata is hit or miss when importing into 3-d printing apps. More than half the time the models come out messed up. And yes, this may have to do with conversion of the model before export, etc. but having to research all those esoteric settings is a serious barrier to entry. A more turn-key option such as "set up for 3d printing" or something like that would bring make Strata a lot more accessible to a lot more people.

Al Luckow | New Media Architect | www.luckow.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1389 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  14:34:47  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found I had to run my model export through 2 online 3D model checkers (from two of the online services, to catch all the issues. Would be nicer to have those sorts of issue flagged visually in Strata before export.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
233 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  15:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tbgriswold

I found I had to run my model export through 2 online 3D model checkers (from two of the online services, to catch all the issues. Would be nicer to have those sorts of issue flagged visually in Strata

I'm doing quite a bit of modelling for 3d printing. By chance I discovered that I can model cleanly through the whole process but when the models are 'conveerted' to PMesh to produce a single item as opposed to an item made of many parts, the conversion introduces a lot of faults, holes, non-manifold edges. When using the deform feature on a 'clean' model, if I group that and convert it to bake the deformation, again, it introduces faults. My workflow now is to finish my models and export them directly to obj and from that to stl using Netfabb. Similarly with a 'deformed' model, I don't group the deform lattice and the object and convert them, I simply export the model, deform lattice and object to obj, then to stl and I'm getting clean models and completely troublefree prints.

Edited by - rooneytunes on 10/01/2017 15:19:05
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1389 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  11:31:45  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to hear of a successful pipeline to 3D printing, but Netfabb is a pricy subscription ($1000/yr) Wonder if there are any other conversion tools that are free or inexpensive....

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

430 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  11:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you convert to a polygon mesh, have you tried adjusting the weld tolerance to see if that helps?

If the tolerance is to low or too high, you can end up with vertices not getting weld together that should be or some getting welded to you don't want to be welded together. Anyway, something to try that might help.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000