Twisted Rope Texture?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  11:57:38  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Man, I've tried every mapping setting and I don't seem to be able to get the "braided Rope" texture (available in resources) to map correctly to a cylinder (created by skinning).

How is that type of texture supposed to be applied?

Al Luckow | New Media Architect | www.luckow.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  12:08:45  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My guess is that you need to have proper UV mapping created for the skinned object, then the braided rope would appear properly. I do not know what sort of UV coordinates a skinned object has. Unless the rope is a straight cylinder that can take a cylindrical map, I am not sure what the best approach is for you. You might be able to convert your rope into a polygon model and then edit the UVs directly, but that may be impossible.

Ideally you could create a straight polygon model, apply cylindrical UVs, and then incorporate a bone system to bend your rope model. I have never had much luck with the bone system but a single string of segments might be doable.

Maybe post an image of what you are trying to make?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  14:28:59  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't need to be exact, but it would be nice if it looked like it wrapped properly. These are my settings:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x7zz3fj9fclk7n/strata_01.png?dl=0

(The "Insert Image" feature didn't seem to work, so I used a link)

Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  09:15:22  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would need to look at the cord file, but it looks like it is definitely a UV related issue. You can attache image files smaller that 90Kb to these messages. but larger files are rejected.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  09:31:48  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My file is 12MB for some reason. Here is a link to it though if you have time to take a look.

I have two cable textures I am trying and I have an example of both too them in this file on the cable. I got them to work as well as I can, (maybe passible) but it seems they should be better than this.

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmaxqn280qhqt5a/Cable_texture.s3d?dl=0

Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  13:00:32  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There seem to be two linked image files not included in your upload.

cable-B:W.psd
map_bwCable copy.psd

Britt
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  13:23:10  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Shoot that's right. I was making a lot of changes so I used a link. Here are all the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g29jfiyn52vc5uj/AACuNvv3Wqel8CNlilDNijhla?dl=0

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000