weird shadow anomaly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alexng
A Regular

Netherlands
187 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  19:06:26  Show Profile  Visit alexng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hereís a weird shadow anomaly Iíve been meaning to talk about years ago, but forgot about it. Until I happened to bump into it again this week!

Image Insert:

25.61 KB

Left is a polygon mesh made from 3 cubes, combined with boolean union, converted to polygon mesh and then the edges smoothed in polygon editing window with the bevel tool.
Right are 3 separate cubes converted to polygon meshes with the edges smoothed with the fillet tool. They are still separate polygon meshes because if you combine them the fillet tool doesnít work as desired.

On the left mesh you see a strange shadow along the bottom edge. On the right thereís nothing wrong.
I managed to find a work around or should I say repair method, but itís not a real solution. It just works although you need an extra rendering. It involves hiding elements in the direct neigbourhood, even if it doesnít touch the mesh! And then pasting the rendering of this element into the first rendering (with the terrain, grass, cycle path and street).

Hiding the cycle path:

Image Insert:

24.75 KB

Hiding the grass, grey terrain and street to get rid of remaining shadow anomalies:

Image Insert:

18.88 KB

By the way, thereís also some blurring going on the extreme left:

Image Insert:

13.23 KB

So the right side with the fillet tool is a work around, but not for special shapes like half or quarter round hedges around a small roundabout...

-Alexander.

Kevco
Admin

462 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  07:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might try turning on or off the Shadows render setting "interpolate polygon shadows" and see if that helps.

What exact version fo Design 3D CX are you running?
Can you provide the model file? If you don't want to post a link here, you can send it to Strata Support.
Go to Top of Page

alexng
A Regular

Netherlands
187 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  16:37:54  Show Profile  Visit alexng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks! That did the trick! Never thought of playing with that setting.
Only the blurring on the left remains, but that is usually less work to repair...

Image Insert:

25.64†KB

Hereís the model:
https://alexng.stackstorage.com/s/j69ebVNAN3I9pnX

Strata Design 3D CX 8.2.2.
But this happened also in previous versions, at least in CX 7.x, but probably even earlier as I remember having this problem 5+ years ago

-Alexander.

Edited by - alexng on 12/18/2018 16:42:25
Go to Top of Page

Tom Macie
A Regular

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  18:00:32  Show Profile  Visit Tom Macie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevco, Could this be related to odd shadows being caused by the default smoothing angle of 60 degrees on mesh objects? Lowering to 20 usually fixes it.

-Tom
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

462 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2019 :  19:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it looks like that's it. I lowered the polygon mesh objects smoothing angle from 60 to 20 and that appears to have taken care of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000