New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  12:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 3D workflow has shrunk as I mostly work with photographic images. One area that I am woefully inexperienced with is UV mapping, esp with entire models. I just purchased a Turbo Squid model of a very basic log cabin (OBJ). The model is supplied with UV image maps.
1. Is there a way to open the file in Strata (VR17) with the UV maps attached in position?
2. If no to the above, will I have to UV map each element separately?
3. Any suggestions from more sophisticated users?
(screenshot attached, showing image maps and model)

I could probably do an adequate job of texturing this model with my own image maps (with less pattern tiling) But I'm still not conversant in UV mapping techniques)

Thanks for any help on this!

Image Insert:

156.49 KB

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  14:46:30  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OBJ can have UV mapping I believe. Is it not opening properly for you? Were you given any other formats with the purchase?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  12:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Britt. No not opening with UV maps attached in Strata. (I tried Modo too, NG)
The download also included: dae, fbx, max, 3ds, and blend files.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  12:34:48  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you open the .dae file in Strata, do you get the maps? I think the OBJ file has a separate file that describes the placement of textures.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DAE produces same result as OBJ. The downloaded files are in individual folders, with each file format having an accompanying JPG image map file for UV. Importing to Strata offers no option to locate embedded files etc. Perhaps it is intended that the user attach their own UV maps.
When I tried to open the OBJ in Modo, there was no prompt to locate associated maps -which would indicate embedded UV's. So this may be a limitation of the pixelsquid models.
There are no free rides or any free lunch in 3D!
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  09:40:12  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a sub-par 3D file was offered up for sale (unless it was super cheap). If there is a feedback loop or contact option to the creator of the object, you might give them a nudge. Wishing you good luck in setting up the UVs yourself.

Britt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000