New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
229 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  13:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got an email from Strata offering the new strata sculpt 3d app. It's 'web based'. Gave it a go and as I expected it lagged, stuck, jerked and frustrated me. I have a fast connection, a macbook that handles photoshop, FCP etc with ease but I got fed up trying this. Why make something like this and make it as a web based app with all the limitations one might expect. Why not simply make it a standalone app ?

Kevco
Admin

428 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  13:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sculpt 3D is using WebGL. I wonder if the performance is related to the graphics card in your computer and/or maybe the browser that you are using.

I'm on an iMac using Chrome and it is very responsive and fast in my tests. Others who've worked with it have been quite pleased with the performance as well.

--Kevin
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
229 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  14:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the quick response Kevin. But honestly is a web based 3d modeling app ever going to deliver a fluid modeling experience. I also have a powermac with 10 gb of ram and it still beachballs when my models start to evolve at which point I begin making 'shapes' and proceed from there. I will try the web GUI with strata sculpt 3d on my powermac and see if it's an improvement
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  05:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a bit puzzling, unless they're using it as a kind of "Beta" before putting the tools into Design 3D.

I honestly really hope that's the case, because Design 3D really needs those tools...and not even really for complex, sculpting-heavy type projects... It needs them for the ability to massage groups of points around in an organic way. There's currently nothing like this in their main app, and it's one of the reasons why we had to drop it for our main work. It really limits the types of models you can realistically tackle in Strata (along with the absence of SSS)

I'll bet the Sculpting web app has some pretty cool stuff in it. I'll bet it's pretty cleverly made too! ...please...for the love of Design 3D...put those tools your main app. No one knows what in the word is going through your minds over there at Strata.

Also, if the web app is the correct move for you, I'd actually love to be convinced!

Edited by - Wally_B on 09/19/2017 05:53:12
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  08:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:
Ok, I just tried the app and I'm SUPER impressed!

For me the performance was really smooth, and the UI/Navigation is a HUGE step forward...using the middle mouse button for panning, etc.

This shows me that the people at Strata really do know how to build a great app...please, not only add the sculpting into Design CX...Bring this experience to the rest of the app!

Edited by - Wally_B on 09/19/2017 08:27:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000