Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbible
A Regular

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  18:20:09  Show Profile
Got a question about Enfold's textures. When it generates them I've noticed it always creates a thin black line (just a few pixels) on the extreme right hand side and the 'dead space' at the bottom of the art is always filled with black as well. What specifically are these for? Are they specific to Enfold?

Reason I am asking is I've ran into a few projects where I would really like to have curved scores in them - problem with Enfold. I can fold up the structure though in ArtiosCAD and export it as a U3D but from there I am not entirely sure how to create the texture since I am dealing with one piece.

- Brad

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  21:31:41  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
the unused space is due to the fact that Enfold is creating its image map within a square ( or square x 2) pixel space: usually 1024 x 1024 or 512 x 1024. The UV space is defined as a square space, and 3D applications work best with maps that are in dimension which are powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc.)

So Enfold is defining a space that fits in those parameters, then blocking of the unused space around your label. It is just dead space that Enfold has decided not to use.

Strata doesn't require input maps to be in powers of 2, but like all 3D applications, it works well when the maps are sized in powers of 2.

Why Enfold blocks off just 2 or 4 pixels on one side, I don't know. I assume they have some reason. The larger block in the other dimension, however, is to cordon off the unused area of the map. The maps would be much easier to work with if Enfold filled one dimension all the way to the edges, and only blocked off on the dimension that falls short. I assume the 2 or 4 pixels block-off is to help some 3D apps from repeating bad edge pixels, although it seems to me it could just as easily create bad edge pixels.

I don't know how that relates to a curved score. I think you have two different topics in your question, but if I saw your die lines I would know more.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 08/09/2010 21:56:42
Go to Top of Page

bbible
A Regular

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  21:48:26  Show Profile
That makes sense and sort of explains why I have noticed a slight distortion as well. I'm still curious about the black line on the side but I'll just leave it for now.

As for the 'curved score' I sent you a message about that one and will follow up. Thanks.

- Brad
Go to Top of Page

leadnut
Infrequent Poster

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  12:39:33  Show Profile
Hey Brad its Tom-gonna be bouncing around in here for strata stuff
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly