Normal Map Creation in Photoshop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  22:29:09  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.cgted.com

Here's a really cool normal creation scripting system for Photoshop. This is the tool I use to create normal maps from grey scale images. Its installation is a bit weird, but once installed is great.

I used this script to produce the normal maps used in this rendering:

http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?galcat=0&imageID=30252

Image Insert:

89.4 KB

Chris

Edited by - MrChristopher on 09/14/2011 04:04:21

dannepop
Regularly Educational

Sweden
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  05:11:54  Show Profile  Visit dannepop's Homepage  Click to see dannepop's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris this was really cool!
Can agree with you about the weird install but it works just fine!

Danne/

Danne
Strata 3D CX 6.2 - MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 - OSX 10.7.1 - 8Gig Ram - Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1 GB GDDR5 - 128 GB SSD
"The problem with knowing what we want is we just might get it."
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1426 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  10:53:38  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That nDo Action for Photoshop Chris pointed to looks really powerful. Definitly should contribute a little money to that cause if you end up using it a lot.

There is another program that is also free and simple, it uses the Adobe Air framework and is called

Smart-normal http://www.smart-page.net/smartnormal/fl10.htm
It is really fast for converting a file where you don't need to make edits. I have been using it a lot for standalone conversion.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Mark Sweeney
Inquisitive

88 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  12:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Mark Sweeney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very Nice Chris!

There's also another standalone app for macs called NormalMappr. It's a freeware app that hasn't been updated since 2007. The original website for it is gone, but google ought to be able to find a copy online.
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  12:47:38  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There's also another application called CrazyBump. Neat interface, easy to use. The downside is limited file size and only 8-bit output.

The nDo filter above is nice because it will work in 16-bit space which provides much higher gradient fidelity. So far it's the only one that does this which is why I use it.

Edited by - MrChristopher on 09/14/2011 12:51:34
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
280 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  19:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't figure it out how to install it, even following the instructions.
I wasn't able to drag and drop the script into PS Action palette. I am using OSX and PS5.
Am I missing something?

Thx
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  19:35:13  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I don't think the instructions on the website page work quite right. Do this:

1. Have a single blank document open, just a small one to establish the script.

2. Open the Actions palette and create a new script.

3. Name it Normal Creation (or whatever your creativity demands).

4. It'll go into record mode. Go to the File -> Scripts -> Browse menu item.

5. Locate the nDo folder and open it (once you record this you can't move it).

6. Select the nDo.jsx file. It'll run the script and create a normal map from the document you have open. But the real key is here is that we've created a script that locates and runs the scripting system.

7. It'll eventually finish creating the normal map and then present you with a kind of scary looking dialog. Just close it (top right corner).

8. Press the Stop Recording button in the Action palette.

From here the script is established and you can run it at well from now on without having to go through this setup stuff.

It generates a very complex layered psd file which you can flatten and use, but if you keep it intact can actually rerun the script and it's smart enough to recognize the that it's already been setup and will simply bring up the scary dialog again allowing you to make modifications. It's actually a very robust normal generator.

Note also that when it runs it'll bring up two dialogs at the beginning of the process, jsut click 'OK' on both to dismiss them.

Chris

Edited by - MrChristopher on 09/15/2011 20:13:31
Go to Top of Page

dw
A Regular

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  20:11:13  Show Profile  Visit dw's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool PS action.

Will be experimenting over the next few days to check this out.
Thanks for the link and info.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
280 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  03:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the instruction Chris, all good.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  12:22:23  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and remember to check the 'Use Image As Normal Map' checkbox in the bump channel, otherwise it'll just interpret the data as a bump.
Go to Top of Page

dw
A Regular

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  15:05:46  Show Profile  Visit dw's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a test render from last night. Strata 7.

Floor:
Normal map generated from nDo PS action.
I have adjusted levels to bring up the contrast of dark and light areas on the Normal map.

Image Insert:

89.91 KB

Texture settings:

Image Insert:

89.35 KB

Image Insert:

29.02 KB
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
280 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  03:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the pic DW, just what was I looking for.
It just gives another dimension to the texture. Thanks for sharing guys.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

aemann
Inquisitive

Hungary
63 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  03:19:55  Show Profile  Visit aemann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marvellous tool - bit tricky to install, but great results once it's done. Already used it to create a more realistic spacecraft gold foil texture. Thanks Chris - would never have found this otherwise!
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1426 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  12:49:59  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aemann,

Would love to see what sort of textures you are creating for Spacecraft foil (before and after normal processing)

Britt
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  15:19:28  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One thing you'll tend to notice is that you don't need to use terribly high values when using a normal map as compared to a bump map. If I do a normal map of a previously used bump, I may have set the bump to 100 or 200%, but the normal map may only be 25% or 50% intensity.
Go to Top of Page

RubberChicken
A Regular

Australia
123 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  23:20:17  Show Profile  Visit RubberChicken's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrChristopher

Here's a really cool normal creation scripting system for Photoshop.

Are you still using this Chris, that website is not working anymore.

Edit: Google tells me NDO seems to be now NDO2 and PC only. I think I found the original here…
http://eat3d.com/blog/metalliandy/ndo-normal-map-creation-script-photoshop
and direct download on that page…
http://philipk.net/ndo/nDo.zip

Edited by - RubberChicken on 04/24/2012 23:27:39
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  19:45:55  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I still use this pre-commercial version.
Go to Top of Page

amritgee
Infrequent Poster

Albania
2 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  14:14:53  Show Profile  Visit amritgee's Homepage  Send amritgee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Sweeney

Very Nice Chris!

There's also another standalone app for macs called NormalMappr. It's a freeware app that hasn't been updated since 2007. The original website for it is gone, but google ought to be able to find a copy online.

Thank you for Your Best Answer

anit sharma
Go to Top of Page

amritgee
Infrequent Poster

Albania
2 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  14:17:20  Show Profile  Visit amritgee's Homepage  Send amritgee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrChristopher

Here's a really cool normal creation scripting system for Photoshop. This is the tool I use to create normal maps from grey scale images. Its installation is a bit weird, but once installed is great.

I used this script to produce the normal maps used in this rendering:

https://atozfiles.com/softwares/download-adobe-photoshop-7-0/

Image Insert:

89.4 KB

Chris

Not understand your Point of View please Discribe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000