Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  05:00:31  Show Profile
would it be possible to use lua scripting to randomly replicate a shape? lets say a leaf shape to create a tree.

Thanks

strata_geek
Infrequent Poster

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  06:34:46  Show Profile  Visit strata_geek's Homepage
Yeah, that one would be pretty easy. Maybe a Script FX that grows a simple tree with shapes for the leaves would be a good example script? I wish I had time to whip that together right now, but we're readying the 6.1 updater at the moment.

-strata_geek
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  10:40:22  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
There is some free tree code out there "arbaro" that might be used as a jumping off point: http://arbaro.sourceforge.net/

And here is an oldie but goody
http://www.laffeycomputer.com/macrock.html

A random rock generator that dropped then to the ground or the object below would be cool

Edited by - tbgriswold on 10/14/2009 10:40:46
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  18:49:45  Show Profile
Thanks for the response guys, would be awesome to have a random replicator script for Strata, I'm sure everyone is happy to wait after 6.1 for this, glad to know would be an easy task for you strata_geek.

Thanks for the links tbgriswold, macrock sounds great, I couldn't work it out Arbaro in OSX.
I actually forgot but there is also Ivy Generator.
http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

Well, if Strata is going to implement some form of random replicator script the application of it would it be infinite.

All the best with finishing up the 6.1 update strata_geek.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  19:15:02  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
A tree script that allowed you to have several different shapes for leaves and distribute them in different proportions depending on which part of the tree they were assigned to would be awesome.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

eg
A Regular

132 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  12:58:51  Show Profile
Some toughts on Replicator script
Replicate shape along path
Shape orientation control, randomizer
Scale over distance or scale (referencing a curve)
also control over time ie.. scale in over time, life span, scale out over time

would it be posable to convertor or use vertex points of an object, as shape origin points for a replicator script

I'm still use Ivy generator and arbaro

really looking forward to taking the Strata 6.1 scrips for a spin

good luck on the home stretch

peace
eg

maybe a city generator, creates blocks(or shapes) from a greyscale image. scale based on based on grey value (with a few street variables thrown in)

Edited by - eg on 10/29/2009 17:39:33
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2009 :  06:41:06  Show Profile
Sounds good to me.
6.1 should be out by now, so hopefully stratageek can advise us how to achieve a random replicator fx script in Strata.
Lets keep this post open.
Cheers

Go to Top of Page

eg
A Regular

132 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  16:59:33  Show Profile
replicate objects growing over time, based on different math equations i.e
Fractals
Crystal growth (atomic scale)
Molecular

eg
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  22:26:42  Show Profile
Hi Guys,
Now that 6.1 has been out, (by the way fantastic job on the script fx improvement), is there any chance to have some info or lead to a replicator script with Strata?
cheers
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  13:23:05  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
There are some older scripts that randomly position copies of objects, is that what you were looking for?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  18:02:59  Show Profile
That would be good Britt, any lead where do I find them?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  10:21:12  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
Here is a Random Replicate Lua Module written in 2008. It still seems to work, but I would not be surprised to find oddities in it. This was written by Jon Bradley.

Download Attachment: ReplicateModule.lua.zip
3.56 KB

Place this in the Scripts/autoload folder and restart Strata. Look under the Scripting menu to find it.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 01/12/2010 10:21:30
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  19:59:11  Show Profile
Thanks Britt,

I completely forgot about it, I used to have it installed in version 5.5, must have missed it when I installed version 6.

Yes this script is very useful as I am trying to use it for landscaping and nature object such rocks, leaf, cluster vegetation etc.

Strata Geek was also suggesting "a Script FX that grows a simple tree with shapes for the leaves" also your previous post suggestion sound good too.

Lets see what this new year can bring on this front.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  03:45:50  Show Profile
Hi Guys,
I found collection of scripts Britt mention used in v5.5 including the replicators one,
here the links for everybody, I tested the replicators one and works fine in 6.1

http://www.stratacafe.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5922

However, the script 'replicate along a path' I couldn't worked it out. I created a bezier curve to use as a path and a cube for the object, I than aligned the two at the center and called the script. Looks like it just makes a number of copies of the path and object. It doesn't distributes the objects along the path.
Does any one have any idea what I missed?

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  11:37:50  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage
It's been a while since I used that script, and I don 't have time to test it now, but it is my recollection that the path you are replicating along has to be an animation path for the object in order for this script to work. Read up on how to convert a bezier curve to an animation path to learn more.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  16:00:47  Show Profile
Thanks Jean,
That was it, I needed to convert the curve bezier into an animation path to works. Great.

Cheers
Syd
Go to Top of Page

strata_geek
Infrequent Poster

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  18:03:13  Show Profile  Visit strata_geek's Homepage
Not that this is a fancy new replicator script, but someone did mention MacRock in this thread so here it is ported to Lua without any type of user interface at all.

Just open the model file and you'll see a rock with the default settings. Edit the RockFX Script FX shader to change the generating parameters.

This is just one example of how to create arbitrary geometry within a Script FX shader. After generating the rock triangles it asks the program to convert them to a mesh for efficient rendering. Hopefully this will help others to get some fun new ideas. The shipping ScriptFX shaders are good examples of how to build a dialog interface.

Download Attachment: RockFX.s3d.zip
13.08 KB

-strata_geek
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  12:42:44  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
Cool!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic