Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  09:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!

Full disclosure, Strata hasn't been my main 3D app for a couple of years now. It's still on my machine, and I use it whenever I work on older files, etc.

I stick around on the forums to stay updated. I watch Strata's progress and keep my eye out for reasons to get excited about the app. Also just to help out when I can...I did build up a decent bit of experience in Strata before we switched.

I'm not a teacher, but the publishing company that I work for is right next to an art school. I get involved at the school when I can, and give guest lectures on 3D and animation related topics, which is a lot of fun for me!

So if it's not clear, the reason why I poke at Strata, and continue to push for an update to Design CX...it's that I would love to recommend it to people... I talk to students all the time who are interested in getting into 3D work, and right now I don't feel like I can suggest Strata to them, knowing the other options that exist. This can (and should!) change, and I really hope it does! The new Sculpt 3D web app that Strata released is great, and shows what the current dev team is capable of. That's exciting!

It's been over a year and a half since any word at all has been heard on the main Design CX app (VR is great, but not an update to Design CX)

It's been a long enough wait. Please tell us what's next for Design CX.

studio309
A Regular

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  10:58:56  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally_B

It's been over a year and a half since any word at all has been heard on the main Design CX app (VR is great, but not an update to Design CX)

It's been a long enough wait. Please tell us what's next for Design CX.

Agreed!! A year and a half is a ridiculous length of stagnation for a program like Strata Design. Strata IS my primary 3D app, and I have a LOT of time (and money) invested in it. If it's dead, let us know, so we (I) can start looking for something else to use for 3D. Sad, if it's dead in the water. If it's not, maybe throw us a bone Strata, yeah?

Edited by - studio309 on 09/26/2017 13:22:11
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  13:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am with you both. I use Strata at least weekly for advertising and product images. It is a great program, as far as it goes. But it has been a long time since it showed signs of keeping up with the state of the art.

The last update had some welcome advances in the rendering and, especially, the lighting tools. But since then, the makers of the lighting module have released a new program revision but there is no sign it will ever make it into Strata. I fear HDR Light Studio will be a one-off extension, only available in one revision of Strata; like the distributed render extension or the 3rd party package folding extension.

In truth, I have begun to learn Blender as a backup for Strata. I've waited far too long for sub-surface scattering and other enhancements. Blender already has it and there is an army of folks working on development. I've watched other, excellent programs dry up and blow away; Amapi 3D among them. Blender may not be as polished as other, commercial programs; but there is little chance it will be orphaned any time soon.

As far as the sculpting program, I wouldn't get too encouraged by that as a sign of life at Strata. It is just a re-packaging of an already available open-source program. Strata's developers had precious little to do with it...

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.

Edited by - MarkG on 09/26/2017 13:22:48
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  08:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I get a Strata Cobalt offer. What is that all about?

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  10:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting... I was unfamiliar with Cobalt, but it looks like Strata has acquired it, and it's now being sold under their name.

Still really unclear what that means for Design CX....
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1387 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  11:38:14  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a completely separate solid modeling program being resold by Strata, maybe with a few tweaks and rebranding.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  14:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's my beef. Work on the flagship application instead of all these distractions. I use Moi3D (Nurbs Modeler) and for much of what I needs, it's fantastic! Price tag under $325.00

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

filbert
A Regular

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  15:10:55  Show Profile  Visit filbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that Strata may have lost it's way. Instead of fixing all the things that it's users have been complaining about FOR YEARS (i.e. Window navigation, Project window update, Ability to get rid of textures or shapes easily, Organizing objects in Project window, Those damn Bones! Countless corrupted files using TD Bones, yadda yadda yadda) They add the Light studio at a price. Cobalt at a price and Sculpt 3d which I have'nt tinkered with yet.

The interest is pretty much gone. Just look at this site. Not like a few years ago when this was a VERY active site.
I really have felt in the past few years that Strata unfortunately has lost it's way for us users and it's only saving grace is it's cost. I still use Strata and started using it since Studio Pro Blitz because as I like telling peopleノ.I'm a gluten for punishment. Too bad.

p.s. Forgot to mention that when they introduced the version 8 they led us believe that it was a 64bit version when it really wasn't. Boy, I wish it was!

filbert

Remember, your only as good as your last image.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
10.11.5 El Capitan

Edited by - filbert on 09/29/2017 15:45:22
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  17:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep!

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  10:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got an email from Strata support about a week and a half ago. They say that some of the interface changes including improvements to the Project Palette will require a full redesign of the software. They said that this isn't currently their priority over other fixes and improvements to the tools (they didn't specify which ones were a priority)

The implication that they actually DO have some priorities when it comes to Design CX is a positive thing. Just seeking out some confirmation that the software is still in active development. Some definitive details on that topic from Strata would be cool to get.
Go to Top of Page

filbert
A Regular

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  12:23:23  Show Profile  Visit filbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sooooo......Strata won't fix the things that us users use EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF USING THEIR PRODUCT because it's not a "priority". But their willing to add new stuff (at an added cost to us) from other vendors that they don't have to mess with.

What do you think my clients would say if I told them that I don't want to work on their projects because I may have to put some overtime in?

filbert

Remember, your only as good as your last image.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
10.11.5 El Capitan
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  04:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally_B

I got an email from Strata support about a week and a half ago. They say that some of the interface changes including improvements to the Project Palette will require a full redesign of the software. They said that this isn't currently their priority over other fixes and improvements to the tools (they didn't specify which ones were a priority)

I think this sentiment is exactly what keeps StrataCX moving slowly in the past few releases.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  13:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Color me skeptical.

I second the recommendation of MoI 3D. Great CAD-style NURBS modeler specially designed for artsy types. A one-man development show with a VERY active user community and support board. Not much to look at, but functional on an amazingly intuitive, Zen-like level.

Check it out:
MoI3D.com

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
275 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  16:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Topic Wally_B

Nice to see the forum come alive again with very good feedback, let them keep rolling
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  18:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strata listen..

Hopper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly