New scripting documentation
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

asouza
Infrequent Poster

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  09:24:53  Show Profile  Click to see asouza's MSN Messenger address
Hi, as almost all postings here are old (2006 and 2007), my questions are:
- is there any new documentation on scripting using Lua?
- is there a SDK already?
- what are the new implementations since Strata 3D v5 (my current version)?
- can I write plug-ins with Lua scripting?

Thanks a lot,
Alex

www.asouza.com/i_index.htm

Edited by - asouza on 04/13/2009 09:25:25

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:03:03  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
My understanding is that not every aspect of the program is scriptable, though much is. I think they are hoping to get better documentation going, and improve the system. If you would like to try your hand at scripting, I know the team is looking for individuals to push this area. I would suggest you contact Brian Laswon (support_at_strata.com) to see if you can get more details.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
There is no new documentation on the scripting system nor is there an SDK.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

asouza
Infrequent Poster

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  13:44:21  Show Profile  Click to see asouza's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Britt and Brian.

I am thinking seriously to start to code for Strata but I need the first steps on that. Where can I find the basic documentation/instructions/papers/etc?

Alex

www.asouza.com/i_index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  14:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
There really isn't any. Search the archives on this forum, there are several sample scripts provided by Jon Bradley which will help you get started.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

asouza
Infrequent Poster

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  14:58:36  Show Profile  Click to see asouza's MSN Messenger address
Considering the lack of info coming from Strata (no SDK/instructions) since the beginning of Strata 3D v5, should I invest time here? Please don't get me wrong but, is this a subject Strata is commited for (at least for future versions) or just a basic feature?
Thanks again Brian!

Alex
Go to Top of Page

Antaguar
A Regular

Germany
111 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  04:50:14  Show Profile  Visit Antaguar's Homepage
Brian,

I am amazed, as on November 2007 you posted

"We are working on the documentation for Lua scripting in Strata. Right now there is no SDK or other documentation beyond looking at some of the scripts Jon Bradley has written."

Your current posts sound more that there won't be any documentation ever.

- Benny (Bernd Gutmann)

Strata CX 5.1, Windows XP SP2
Athlon X2 6000, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8800 GTS
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  10:36:51  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
It is man power issues as I understand it. They could use some Lua experienced people to swarm a wiki and generate something.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Antaguar
A Regular

Germany
111 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  16:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Antaguar's Homepage
But the functions are well defined and should be documented somewhere as they provide direct access to Stratas interfaces of the libraries. Such a big project is never developed without thorough source code and interface documentation. It would be a start to provide a short description of the commands. I think people who are interested in programming and scripting of Strata will start to work immediately and gather their own Lua experience.

Many projects like this have user written Wikis soon. But we would need a starting point. Lots of the initial enthusiasm of Strata users who are also experienced programmers got lost due to the poor documentation. This forum and the scripting resources could have been as busy as an anthill.

- Benny (Bernd Gutmann)

Go to Top of Page

asouza
Infrequent Poster

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  17:33:52  Show Profile  Click to see asouza's MSN Messenger address
Totally agree with you all folks. In my case, I have both experience with 3D and scripting but, unfortunately, with just the samples from 1 developer, it is not enough to build on top. We need, at list, a basic list with the commands and a brief description of them. Otherwise (don't get me wrong, I love Strata 3d), like IK/bones system/plugins, scripting will be just another "joke" in the product.
Alex
Go to Top of Page

Antaguar
A Regular

Germany
111 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Antaguar's Homepage
Yes. I don't understand why they spend time in implementing these features and do some marketing on it but then do not provide documentation or improvements. If scripting and IK is something only very few Strata users do need it's better not to promote these features and let these peolpe use other software for this special purposes instead of disappointing them with poor support.

- Benny (Bernd Gutmann)

Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
271 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  07:23:14  Show Profile
Hi All,

There is a new online documentation since version 6 was released.

https://sites.google.com/site/stratausersupport/Home/strata-design-3d-cx-scripting

Hope this can be a good start.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Ray Tracer
Infrequent Poster

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  23:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Ray Tracer's Homepage
That link to https://sites.google.com/site/stratausersupport/Home/strata-design-3d-cx-scripting is for a wiki which is currently being loaded with documentation. It's meant to be a dynamically expanding resource for scripting and scriptors.

More content will be added over the coming weeks and everyone is welcome to have edit permissions, just post a comment there asking to be added to the editor list. The pages are a little rough still and in a state of constant transition so please be patient with us.

-gary
Go to Top of Page

Ray Tracer
Infrequent Poster

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  01:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Ray Tracer's Homepage
A minor revision to what I just posted. It looks like the comment facility isn't available on that site unless you're an editor already, so to request edit privileges send an email via the link on the first page.

-gary
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000