Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moyer13
Infrequent Poster

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  14:14:29  Show Profile
Folded up my first box. Looks great.
However the panels are looking a bit thin.
Is there a way to set the thickness to the material being folded up?

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  16:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage
No, there's not a way to do that in Enfold 3D. Our partner with the Enfold 3D product is EskoArtwork. They make a very high-end packaging product named ArtiosCAD that allows you to set material thickness and type (as well as many other very cool features). ArtiosCAD can read in your .box files from Enfold 3D. So, though this is not a solution for you Enfold 3D users, it is nice to know that our technology partner on this product has an upgrade path for those of you that can justify this higher end, dedicated application.
http://esko.com/
Go to Top of Page

moyer13
Infrequent Poster

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  17:30:58  Show Profile
Oh I'm quite familiar with ArtiosCAD. When our structural designer has the time he will fold up the die-lines for me and export out a .WRL file. It saves me all kinds of time on my renders. That's why I was so excited about the release of Enfold. Finally I can do this myself and stop bugging him.

Too bad the thickness feature wasn't carried over from Artios to Enfold. Material thickness is kind of an important feature in making detailed packaging renderings.

Another disappointing discovery is when in Strata you open the folded up die line from Enfold it comes in as a single poly mesh. Opening a .WRL out of Artios allows you to ungroup panels to your hearts content. To me this is crucial for fine tuning the way textures map and fit.

Other than these 2 things its a handy tool that's very easy to use. I don't know maybe these things can be improvements for future releases.
Go to Top of Page

nick orell
Infrequent Poster

22 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:32:43  Show Profile  Visit nick orell's Homepage
it would be nice for a "add substrate thickness" button.... we do a fair amount of display renders and a quick workaround is to slightly scale down the "inside" shape, and replace the texture color with a stock corrugated color. it kinda works, but moreso for showing the kraft on the inside of the display.

nick
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  13:06:51  Show Profile
I agree with the last two comments. This lack of thickness has been a bug-a-boo for my Creative Director. Details are an important element to renderings!

Hopper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000