New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimho
Infrequent Poster

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2021 :  20:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's time to buy a new computer. Does anyone here use Strata 3D CX7.5 on an iMac?
I've been running it on a Mac Pro 3,1 forever. I can buy a used Mac Pro, but would rather buy a new MAC that does not cost an arm and a leg, so I'm considering an iMac.

Thanks,
jimho

studio309
A Regular

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2021 :  06:54:12  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey jimho,

I do. A few years back, I was working on a giant (billboard sized) render that my aging Mac couldn't handle. I was in the same position as you - needed something new without breaking the bank. I bought a 27" iMac i7 & maxed out the RAM (ordered separately and installed it myself - much cheaper that way). Strata 3D CX 7.5 and 8.0 run fine on it. Though, a new one will have Big Sur OS (64 bit) installed. I know Strata is working on updating their SW to be 64 bit on Mac, but it's not quite there yet. I'm still running Mohave on my iMac, just for Strata.

A new iMac will also have an M1 processor. The M1 combines the CPU and GPU into one chip. Not sure how it bench tests against the i7 processor with separate GPU in previous models. Seems like a recipe for overheating and bottlenecking, but that's just speculation.

Inserted images were modeled and rendered in Strata 3D CX 7.5 on my iMac i7.

Good luck!

Image Insert:

120.36 KB

Image Insert:

39.03 KB

Image Insert:

52.24 KB

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic