Extrude Along Path Issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  16:20:54  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have some wires I made that wind their way underneath an object. I used Extrude along path. Well, now I realize that the wire is a bit too thick. I would think I could just go in and resize that circle I used as the extrude object, but there seems to be no way to manipulate or resize it. It comes up with that handles and all that, but nothing I do will let me mess with it.

Ideally, I'd like to just select it, and shrink proportionately 60%. But none of that seems to work.
What am I doing wrong?

Al Luckow | New Media Architect | www.luckow.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

T Greenough
Infrequent Poster

6 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  13:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'v had the same problem. Not sure if there is no solution or we just don't know where to find the answer.
In any case, I finally just tweaked the edit handles in edit mode and that worked for me. I was just reducing the size of the diameter of a "neon" shaped light strip. A more complex form may be harder to adjust that way. To get exactly 60% reduction, maybe create a 60% circle template and match the one you want to change to that.
PS: I always make several copies of my paths so I can re do them if necessary.
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  15:00:38  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't even seem to be able to get it in edit mode. I can see the handles, I just can't get them to do anything. It's like they are locked. Even if I do get them to unlock, it's still going to be a migraine inducing manipulation job to get it back to a circle, but smaller. It really seems there is something I just don't know here. I guess if I had made the circle a shape, that might have worked.

Maybe making multiple copies would be a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1443 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  15:07:06  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I alway try to keep a spare copy of these sorts of things. Once it is skinned, the editing options get limited. And if you are doing edits (push/pull of handles) you may not be able to select and move them if the objects are really small. I don't think paths will say as a "shape" I think I gets used as part of the extrude and loses the reference to the shape, but I could be wrong. It has been a while since I have done this.

I usual have to redo the extrude if the object needs shape/size adjustment...

Britt
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  15:41:58  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I did manage to hack my way through shrinking it. It's not pretty but it will do. I was also mirroring that wire and my changes took on the other side soo, so that was kind of nice.

It would be great if there was a way to "undo" the path extrude, so you would have the object and the path separate again. But I'll live.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000