"Could not save 'FileName.s3d'"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

studio309
A Regular

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  09:19:23  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I keep getting this error. It's been happening for a long time, and I've just been dealing with it.

"Could not save 'FileName.s3d' because the file is already in use or is unavailable for writing."

Anyone know what the problem is?
This happens with just one file open, on one computer.

And, this one too:
"The disk copy of 'FileName.s3d' was changed since you last opened or saved it. Do you want to save anyway?"

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com

Tom Macie
A Regular

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  14:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Tom Macie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first problem might be a disk permissions problem. Is this on a remote drive? You may want to check the permissions settings on whatever drive you're using.

If this is only happening in Strata, I've not seen/heard this before. You may want to email support.

The second issue happens sometimes when there is Time Machine activity happening at the time the save is requested but I haven't seen this with Strata in some time.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1441 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  15:07:34  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect time machine as the culprit. when I see this I do a "Save As" never hurts to leave an occasional bread crumb of older versions of a file as you progress through a project.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  11:08:41  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Britt.
It could be Dropbox too, which is where I was working from, but sometimes "Save as" saving to a different location, with a different filename, would generate the "The disk copy of 'FileName.s3d' was changed..." error.

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  11:12:50  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom.

I've taken to saving multiple copies of my work in Strata as I go, because I do have problems with Strata quitting unexpectedly sometimes, and the repeated "The disk copy of 'FileName.s3d' was changed..." thing. I'll have to do some testing and pay closer attention to where I'm saving files to see if there's a common denominator. It is probably related to a SYNC thing with Dropbox, Time Machine, or both.

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  05:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by studio309
...I do have problems with Strata quitting unexpectedly sometimes...

Although I don't really use Strata anymore apart from salvaging old projects, this sobering reminder has remained taped to my monitor. Once a jarring warning to back up my files...now, a tasteful workplace decoration.
Image Insert:

82.44 KB
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  07:51:04  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a sobering reminder that I should learn Blender, or something. It took me a long time to get up to speed with Strata. I don't relish the idea of starting from scratch. Again. Like I did when I dumped Carrara for Strata.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000