New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  10:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like this forum is on life support. Strata FB User Group gets some attention, but I don't see posts/replies by the regular experts there. What's the best place to troubleshoot Strata issues now?

Am having issues with fog that could use some expertise. Any of the venerable pros still here?

I have an interior scene that requires visible light coming through windows that have small panes. I'm guessing that the window frames/glass panes are more than the fog simulator can handle. I have had excellent results from fog in scenes with no enclosures. There's nowhere nearby that I can photograph a similar interior, so I am really hoping I can tweak the fog/render controls to get workable results. I have noticed that there is extreme variation when adjusting Volume Shadow Softness. But the results can be vary greatly & seem somewhat unpredictable. Am mostly getting artifacts in the visible light cones, and odd glows that don't seem accurate.

Suggestions appreciated -thanks!

Trying to roughly emulate this look. My structure has 3 walls (with windows) roof, posts & floor. It's a basic instruction now. Will enhance if fog can be improved.

Image Insert:

38.32 KB

Am getting artifacts in the light cones

Image Insert:

98.28 KB

I have tried many settings for fog fx & rendering. Currently not using "Air" fog fx, just applying fog to Spotlight, which is better, but still results in artifacts etc.

Image Insert:

31.05 KB

Image Insert:

160.41 KB

Image Insert:

121.43 KB

Some on the FB page suggested disabling reflection in the glass.

Image Insert:

127.89 KB

Edited by - Stratagizer on 08/13/2019 13:02:07

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  09:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a single suggestion in 67 views?
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  11:55:06  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stratagizer

Not a single suggestion in 67 views?

You need to render using Radiosity.
Raytracing doesn't handle atmospherics the way Radiosity does.
If I render the scene below using Raytracing, I get the same window pattern in the fog as you're getting.

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com

Image Insert:

221.1 KB

Edited by - studio309 on 08/23/2019 12:37:58
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  12:12:50  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The spotlight in my scene has Fog FX and Spotlight Diffusion Gel applied.

I would say, unless you're going to get very close to the windows in your buildings, I'd leave the bump out of the glass texture. It'll add a lot of extra render time, especially in radiosity. I'd use a dirty light gel to give the fog some texture.

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com

Edited by - studio309 on 08/23/2019 12:26:03
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  13:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry!

I had not used Radiosity for awhile due to the slow render times -but that sounds like the way to go. Much appreciated!

Your render is a dead ringer for the reference image.

Still I wonder if the weird artifacts I was getting were due solely to using Raytracing and not anther factor. I don't render w fog often and am not expert in that area. But it has worked so effectively in the past that I was at a loss in this setting.

Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  13:12:56  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stratagizer

Thanks Jerry!

I had not used Radiosity for awhile due to the slow render times -but that sounds like the way to go. Much appreciated!

Your render is a dead ringer for the reference image.

Still I wonder if the weird artifacts I was getting were due solely to using Raytracing and not anther factor. I don't render w fog often and am not expert in that area. But it has worked so effectively in the past that I was at a loss in this setting.

Thanks so much!

You're quite welcome.
I'm pretty confident that the artifacts you were getting are from raytracing. I think it gets confused with atmospheric effects like fog and bounced light. I got the exact same pattern in the fog when I rendered my scene with raytracing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000