New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  11:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an OJ bottle that is displaying some mapping errors. I unified the polys, even resolved some triangles in the mesh -no help. There are rectangular areas that are not showing the bump map -these are the problem areas. I'm thinking it's a UV error. I have not mastered UV mapping, so not sure how to resolve this. Also, having seams in this model would not look correct. A real juice bottle has a very uniform size to the pitted texture, except at the threaded section on spout (hidden by cap) So I have just used the default UV settings -which are mostly excellent except for the areas in question. (I posted this on the FB page, but not getting any answers on this one.

I'm showing an earlier version, with the non-quad geometry, as after resolving the triangles, and re-attaching the textures, the UV mapping was actually worse. This model has selections subsets for separate textures on the neck & lower sections of the bottle.

Except for the mapping errors, I think this render looks pretty good. It ALMOST looks like sub surface scattering, which I have been begging for for years...

Image Insert:

112.69 KB

Image Insert:

104.16 KB

Image Insert:

187.51 KB

Edited by - Stratagizer on 01/09/2019 11:54:54

Kevco
Admin

463 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  10:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be due to the smoothing angle used. You might try lowering or increasing the objects smoothing angle and see if that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  11:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin. I did try that, but perhaps need to revisit. I also tried Meshlab -and that is an excellent solution. Perhaps Strata could build in tools to detect, repair & resolve triangles, and other "bad geometry" that can be hard to detect. I have another app that can make repairs. It can take a few passes, but it does the job.
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

463 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  11:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the mapping errors continue, send in the model file and we'll take a look at it. It's always easier to work with a model file. :)
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  12:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin. I just uploaded the mesh via Strata Support email
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: