perspective distortion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ALLEN HANFORD
Infrequent Poster

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  13:36:32  Show Profile  Visit ALLEN HANFORD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm new to Strata3D having previously used lightwave. I need to make relatively simple product illustrations that match previous work as closely as possible. The issue I'm working on right now is perspective distortion. Elsewhere I've seen this controlled by controlled by "lens focal length" but I need to know how to control it here.

Anyone know?

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2018 :  15:06:09  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a camera panel. Set a camera in the scene and then look at the options available. It is likely that Strata and Lightwave do not use the same designations for defining "lens" settings. You will have to experiment a little.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

ALLEN HANFORD
Infrequent Poster

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  06:39:47  Show Profile  Visit ALLEN HANFORD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, the tutorial I did didn't talk about scenes. I'll have to keep going. I'm under pressure to develop a rote procedure for rendering a limited number of package products but clearly I'm not grasping everything.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  06:58:12  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A scene is not really a term here. I just mean the work area where you set up your models, lights and cameras. Strata comes with a few predefined setups where you can drop in your objects. That may be a good starting point for you to experiment with.

I assume you have some sample renders from Lightwave that you are tying to match. You have the ability in Strata to set one of those images as a overlay in your Camera, sort of like tracing paper. Once you set up the same object in your work area/scene. The you can move the camera around and play with the controls to match the two images for future renders.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

ALLEN HANFORD
Infrequent Poster

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  08:33:07  Show Profile  Visit ALLEN HANFORD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"A scene is not really a term here."

I figured that the rendering was not in a separate environment (and software) like lightwave.

The setting I needed in the camera panel was "view angle" As with lightwave I had to balance that number against the distance from the object to get the amount of distortion I wanted. The only difference was that in lightwave a higher number in the "lens focal length" field makes the image flatter or closer to orthographic. In strata a lower number in the "view angle" field flattens.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000