New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a text graphic that sits on a ground plane (custom ground plane, not from environment palette). This ground plane is not flat, it curves downward in front & behind the subject. It is also very large in relation to the scene. There is currently a hard edge horizon appearing in the render. I had hoped the spotlight penumbra would not illuminate the horizon. Also, I had to add a very soft global light to illuminate the lettering in front ("Induction") and to cast fill light onto the main title lettering. I suspect that might be illuminating the horizon. (I prefer the soft global light to a spot or point light for this scene).

I also tried limiting the camera's depth of field, but as this is not really an optical lens feature, so the horizon does not soften sufficiently. I can easily fix this in post, but would prefer an option to soften the horizon in the render.

I added a gradient mask that now reduces the visibility of the horizon line, but it still has a hard edge. Not sure why it doesn't fade to black as per the mask. I set the mask to "Invisible" not white. (and I used "Mask" not "opacity")

So I would prefer all details sharp & crisp, EXCEPT for the horizon of the ground plane, which I would like to have fade softly to black at the horizon.

BTW- I am extremely happy with the fog spotlight & bevel text results. These are some excellent, easy to use Strata tools that are extremely powerful. Many other apps do not have good 3D text tools. And the fog with shadows is easy to set up, and renders convincingly. I would imagine these features alone would make Strata appealing to graphic designers. Perhaps these features could be highlighted through viral social media & youtube etc.

Image Insert:

34.62 KB

Edited by - Stratagizer on 08/14/2018 17:45:41

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  09:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the issue concerning masked objects. Ae mask will not render masked areas to zero transparency if there is no ground plane or other object behind. I added a dark black ground plane below a masked rectangular plane (raised slightly above the ground plane). Now the graduated mask renders with a perfectly soft horizon.

I have also rendered the image at over 4K, with high detail setting. This improves detail in the fog spotlight's visible rays. Gotta hand to Strata, there are some areas where the final renders are exquisite!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000