New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  12:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to have cast shadows appear on a ground plane to use as elements in a 2D composite. All I want to see in the final render is the shadows cast onto a fairly bright ground plane (or isolated on a photoshop layer, or alpha channel) The object casting the shadows should not be visible.

What would the optimum shadow catcher settings need to be for this?

My test renders produce a solid black object, and the shadows have disappeared from the ground. Alpha channel is blank.

(I have objects that have been extracted from photos that will be composited into new photos/backgrounds. 3D cast shadows could look more realistic than 2D painted shadows)

Thanks

Edited by - Stratagizer on 07/12/2018 12:44:39

Kevco
Admin

452 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  13:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure to save the rendering using the Photoshop (*.psd) option, which is the 8-bit PSD format and not the Photoshop 16-bit (*.psd) format.

To hide object's that are to case shadows but not be visible... set the "Directly viewable" option to "Disabled" in that object's "Edit > Instance Properties..." dialog.

I hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  16:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about all the options in Instance Properties.
It's common in photo compositing to need cast shadows for imported clipped objects/people. Even for an experienced artist this can take time. This is a powerful tool for this purpose. I have a flock of Bison that will drop into a scene. Each needs a cast shadow. I built a four legged primitive that casts a perfect shadow from a global light with very soft shadows. Thanks Kevin!

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000