Texture Map and Rendering Issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  14:43:03  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Its kind of obvious what is happening here. I imported an OBJ file that I created in Illustrator (via a plugin). Miraculously the artwork stayed mapped But here is the issue:

Main issue:
1) I think the triangulation is messing up the rendering surfaces. How do I fix that?

The two other things Id like to fix, (but that I could probably live with if I had to) are:
2) The mapped art comes in automatically but its slightly stretched, even though the edges line up.
3) The lid texture is bleeding though so it shows backwards on the other side.

Image Insert:

79.65 KB

Al Luckow | New Media Architect | www.luckow.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevco
Admin

452 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  15:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like you have coplanar polygons. check the geometry, there is likely two polygons in the same location. Remove the extra polygon(s).

Or it could be that there are two objects, an inner and an outer object that both occupy the same position/space (coplanar surfaces). Open the Project Window to investigate and if there is an inner and an outer object the hide or ever so slightly scale down the inner object to avoid this rendering issues.

Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1426 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  15:09:20  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may have to post the file somewhere for examination. I assume, from what I see, that you only have a single set of polys, no real inside/outside polys set up. You could fake the lid issue with a new polygon near the lid surface that does not have the texture. Or you may be able to use the old trick of putting a solid white texture, with an black edge of a few pixels, in the mask channel of your texture. This seems to be a way of keeping the texture from wapping around, but it may not work in UV coordinates....

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 06/11/2018 15:49:56
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  17:16:25  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is the actual file "AlsTest.s3d" is the strata import: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptoskw61qb28ylv/sample10.zip?dl=0

Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1426 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  07:09:06  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is definitely some bad geometry in there causing problems. pulling out the problem is going to take someone with a little time and experience.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1426 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  07:51:04  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It looks like you have inside and outside the box polygons, maybe with connecting edges between, but they are colocated so closely together that they are causing interference between inside and outside. Your best bet is to eliminate the inside polygons and then apply the thickness function to regenerate those, or just go with the outside polygons and fake the rest in photoshop. I think it is going to be messy....

Britt
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1426 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  08:24:03  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I removed the insides of the box and put the box in a new file. This bought the megabyte-age down from 10.6MB to 150KB. There was lots of hidden junk in there, now gone.

I used the magic wand to select/remove the inside polygons (makes selection much easier with all the multiple polygons on flat planes); then gave the box thickness; then UV Edited the new edge polygons to a white area I added to the texture image.

I then used the magic wand again to select all the new interior faces (which inherit the outside faces UVs) and unwelded them from the new edges and move them to the new white area as well. Now the inside of the box is white.

S3D file in zip attached.

Britt

Image Insert:

26.64 KB

Download Attachment: AlsTestBritt.zip
122.63 KB

Edited by - tbgriswold on 06/12/2018 08:34:12
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  11:44:07  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brit! As messy as it is, this proves to me that this plug in is worth buying.

I'm in a situation where I have to design some packaging and in my workflow, I really need to conserve my cycles. So this app allows me to make a die-line in Illustrator, set the folds and all that, and design the graphics on another layer. It's a little awkward as it uses a plugin in Illustrator to access its own app to display, but hey, it seems to work. And my art is ready to go as I design and approvals (hopefully) come rolling in.

They also have a rendering app, but I'd much rather use Strata for my rendering this post proves I can. I've used Strata since the mid 1990s so I'd much rather stay with what I know .I'm a little shaky on the un-weld feature, but I'll figure it out by dissecting your file.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Al

Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1426 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  13:56:55  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot of the Polygon and UV Edit functions are in right-click sub menus. Point to the thing you want to edit and right-click while in the Polygon editor or UV Editor. Also remember that the menus will change depending whether you are in point, edge, or face mode. Check and see if the plug-in has some sort of "thickness" feature that you would use on export to the 3D object. If so, that might solve all your problems.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  14:07:11  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it turns out it does have a thickness feature. I'm pretty sure it's going to be screwy anyway, but that's okay, as long as I can get it to work.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000