Fringe around masked textures.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

T Greenough
Infrequent Poster

4 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  15:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often use masks on flat objects (rectangle) to create complex "appearing" effects.
example- Photo of leaves in Diffuse channel, black and white trans map made from same image in Mask channel.
For some reason, I'm having trouble with rendered images having a light fringe around the mask boundaries, especially of the background is dark. Had it in 7.5 and also now in 8.2.2.
A simple color in the Diffuse channel (green in this case) with the same transparency map in the Mask channel works great. No fringes, but of course, no details on the leaves.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
iMac new, quad 3.4, retina screen,

Image Insert:

175.63 KB

Edited by - T Greenough on 01/28/2018 16:11:34

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  10:11:42  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A mask is not really the same as an alpha channel. I think this is usually handled by minimizing the transition from white to black in the Mask. The best way to do this is to double the size of the mask file and convert it ti bitmap, so there is no grey in the image.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 01/30/2018 13:56:37
Go to Top of Page

T Greenough
Infrequent Poster

4 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the information. I tried what you mentioned but the result was the same. Am I trying to achieve this effect through entirely the wrong method? I found no information about alpha channels in the guide (other than rendering dialog and backgrounds.)
I tried making a simple square (B and W) map in PS so edges would be clean. converted to bit map also.
Still came out the same. Thanks again for your help.
T
Go to Top of Page

T Greenough
Infrequent Poster

4 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried the same procedure using the bit mapped mask but I also changed the check box in the image dialog from "mip mapped" to "direct" and it rendered beautifully.

Thanks again for your help!
T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000