New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KRidgeway
Infrequent Poster

7 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  23:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a technique to make a glass material resemble the irregular imperfections found in antique glass. One characteristic I've noticed are varying thicknesses along the length of a bottle for example. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would like to use one of the CT (Chris Tyler) Fresnel glass materials.

Thank you!

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  07:12:32  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried a normal image which works great at making reflections ripple, and I tried dividing up the pane and altering the object thickness, but neither seem to warp the object behind the glass. The preview in the texture suggests the normal map should be doing the trick, but I am not seeing it. I am doing raytracing.

Maybe Chris can chime in and point us in the right direction.

Britt

Image Insert:

86.78 KB

Edited by - tbgriswold on 01/11/2018 07:15:19
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  07:24:02  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah! Figured it out. The glass object was not set to be one-sided (which makes it a solid).

Britt

Image Insert:

51.71 KB

Edited by - tbgriswold on 01/11/2018 07:24:41
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  07:39:11  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a test with three different types of objects. All work. Just need to make sure one-sided is checked on the object.

Image Insert:

86.5 KB
Go to Top of Page

KRidgeway
Infrequent Poster

7 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  23:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Britt,
Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate all your work and your help. I have forgotten the one-sided setting before and completely understand. Your information is very helpful. I will explore some different bump images and let you know how it goes. I am interested in the way you divided up the surface to achieve thicks and thins. In your rendering tests of three types of objects with the version you called “Polygon w/divisions and Subdivisions (overkill)” did you alter the object thickness or is the effect from subdividing the divided plane? Thanks again for providing feedback.
¬Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  06:17:47  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin,
I divided up the "cube" in polygon edit mode, then uses the magic wand selection tool in point mode (set to skip every other 2 points. Then I just moved them up and down slightly after ever random selection of a point. I don't really think it is necessary to go this way, as it will make the model pretty heavy. I think you can get pretty much the same result with a good normal map and one-sided geometry, but it is always an option! Make sure you set the edged to "hard" if you also use subdivision (I set the edge points to be hard in mine, and you can see it makes the edges a little "pinched".)

Britt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000