New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
238 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be simple but I'm fluffing this. I'm trying to model items in relief from illustrations. sounds simple, put the image in the 'background' plane and model on top of that, except that of course if I use the hand tool to scroll up or down my job as I'm working, my model loses it's 'register' to the background image.
If I make a 2d area and apply the illustration as a texture and begin modeling by drawing a 2d area with my textured illustration below it for reference I can of course see the illustration in flat or smooth mode only and that also means the 2d area I'm drawing is also flat or smooth and I quickly lose sight of the unerlying illustration. I'm sure this should bne simple but I'm missing it. Does anyone have a workaround ?

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1423 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  08:01:20  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure exactly what you are describing, but are you using the orthographic mode of the modeling window?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
238 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  08:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Britt, thanks for the response, I'm in 'front' mode, with an illustration as a background image and my 2d plane in front of it. That works as long as I don't scroll around with the hand tool or zoom in to refine what I'm doing.
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

445 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  08:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See if using the Grid Templates feature works for you.

View Menu > Edit Grid Template

Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
238 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  08:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, thanks Kevco, I didn't think to try that, I'll give it a go.
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
238 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  12:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not back at my desk yet but I've been browsing Rhino for mac, they have 'ghost' mode in Rhino, displays your model in semi-transparent form. Lets you see an underlying illustration or 'template'.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1423 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  14:07:05  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be a nice added feature!

You might be able to accomplish something similar if you drop a default texture (except the Masking or Opacity is set to partial) on your object. If you just have a few items to work on you can just apply the texture to each item.

If you need to move the items inside a Group/Shape (lots of objects to manage so you only apply one texture to the whole thing) this is not a good solution, but it might work as long as you are use to modeling in one window while watching another one to see the effect against the template image.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 01/10/2018 06:11:36
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
238 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  03:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You might be able to accomplish something similar if you drop a default texture (except the Masking or Opacity is set to partial) on your object." great idea Britt, thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000