New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  17:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have forgotten some of the rules for polygon modeling, esp as concerns active grids. The move & scale tools are not working as I intend, including using the nudge keys. I'm pretty sure this has to do with active grids. I consulted the user guide, but being geometrically challenged, I'm missing something about active grid control. Is there a default setting for grids that I can revert too?

Lets say that I had a circle of perhaps 30 vertices. If I select 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock vertices (in vertex mode) and using the scale tool, tap the down arrow on keypad, shouldn't the vertices move toward the center by default? (sung the down view) That's not happening, and I think I may have set something improperly with grids. This works properly in a NEW scene, but not in my current model. That's why I think I "broke" something.

Is strata university the only current option for tutorials?

Thanks.

Edited by - Stratagizer on 01/03/2018 17:34:29

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
280 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  22:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...mm, active grids are not that complicated - X, Y, Z keyboard command to activate and constrain to each grid axis.
You might also take a look in Preferences - Window tab, Auto Grid if does affect your modelling with the current grid.
Perhaps the geometry of your model might cause some glitches while working with the active grids.
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
280 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  22:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also - in the Object Properties - Transform Tab - see if the checkbox 'Grid' is on/off, this moves an item to a quasi-absolute position relative to a grid
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  11:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I am in Polygon edit mode, is it possible to scale in TWO AXIS simultaneously with nudge keys?
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1423 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  15:04:32  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
only if you have a two dimensional object.If you are editing a 3D object, you will need to use the constraint guides and switch from the first axis guide to the second guide and repeat the scaling action. A shortcoming for sure...

Britt
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1423 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  15:06:59  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have occasionally had items not move in polygon edit when i thought they should. But it is usually an overlooked grid or guide constraint. However I have occasionally found that the item (usually a point) can not be moved until I zoom in a step out two, then it is possible...

Britt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000