New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
233 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  08:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm making a setting for jewellery so drew a 2d region and extruded it along a path. Lovely job, looks pewrfect except that the path never closes. It woul;dn't mnatter except that I have to translate this into an stl file for actual reproduction and it of course presents a problem in that the incomplete path has a gap where the original 2d region is, barely visible but always there. Saved as a PM I can of course see all the adjacent vertices that need welded to close the path but they are so many and so closely grouped that its excrutiating trying to do this.
Is there any other answer as to why the extrude along a path tool makes incomplete paths ? Or is there any other workaround. If I export the file as an obj to a file repair app, the app will close the holes on each side of the gap but not join the closed ends, leaving a slight nick in the geometry

Image Insert:

17.7 KB

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1389 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  09:40:33  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could try converting it again to polygon mesh and set the weld tolerance a little larger to grab those points. Might work.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

430 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  12:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could I take a look at your file?
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
233 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  12:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks lads, I'm on the steak and vino now and will send the file in the AM.
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
233 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  03:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kevco

Could I take a look at your file?

Thanks Kevco. Hope this link works
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1b9ohlzuqa4qycu/bezel.s3d?dl=0
Go to Top of Page

rooneytunes
A Regular

Ireland
233 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  03:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Britt. what I finally did was convert to PM and remove the entire geometry either side of all the overlapping vertices then bridge the adjacent endgons, connected them a couple of times to bring back my curve. That has worked but still bothered that this is necessary everytime I create anything using the path extrude tool. What's the problem in this tool that it won't make a closed shape ?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000