Subtraction Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  10:26:03  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've done subtraction a million times before, but for some reason it stopped working. It seems to only work with native shapes.

All I want to do is make a shape with rounded corners, then slice some divisions in it as shown in the gray object. But no matter what I do, the slices won't "subtract" from the red curved corner object (done in illustrator and extracted). I've converted to every iteration I can think of and can't get the slices to "slice" into the red object. I've made them both polygon meshes, etc, etc.

What I am doing wrong where I can't get this simple operation to work?

Using Strata CX8 8.2.1

Image Insert:

172.9 KB

Al Luckow | New Media Architect | www.luckow.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevco
Admin

431 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  11:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we get the model to look at?
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  12:42:32  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sure, here is the model: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9txpec6hc9owc06/001.s3d?dl=0

Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  12:45:23  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Also, I'm using this model to make a 3D print, so using the anti-matter feature is not an option.

Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

431 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  13:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The secret is to use Thickness instead of Extrude.

1. In the polygon editor, select and copy the front face ( rounded rectangle ).
2. Exit the polygon editor.
3. Delete the extruded rounded rectangle object.
4. Paste the rounded rectangle into the modeling window.
5. Select it, if not already selected.
6. Go to the Modeling menu > Thickness
7. Set the Thickness Radius to -11 mm or whatever depth you want and check "Closed volume", if not already.

Note: 11 mm is about the same depth of the original extruded object. Using negative eleven caused it to thicken toward the back, the direction you want in this situation.

8. Click OK to execute the Thickness command.
9. Select all the piece to be subtracted from the thickened rounded rectangle.
10. Group them together.
11. Boolean Subtract the Group from the thickened rounded rectangle.

And Voila! You have your boolean object.

Extruded objects can be more complex than objects created with Thickness.

--Kevin

Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  15:16:39  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks that helps a lot!

Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  14:13:59  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know, even when I do all that, it still keeps deleting the entire thing. It just won't do a "subtract" function. It really seems like I've done this many times before and it worked. Attached are my results after trying the above method (although I did add a small bevel in). This is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/phinokhfu4fq90l/004.s3d?dl=0

Image Insert:

91.67 KB

Edited by - FlashInPan on 08/24/2017 14:15:20
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  14:50:31  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this will help, but I found that when doing a boolean subtract operation, all the elements have to be of the same type. I usually make all of them polygon groups. If you have a mix of object types, it does stuff like what you are experiencing.
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

431 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  15:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a different object than the one I worked on previously. It looks similar to an extruded object with all the extra geometry around the sidewall.

At first glance, there is some bad looking geometry at the top and bottom of the side wall. Bad geometry can be problematic for the boolean engine.

I extract the face polygon and took a close look at it. It has some stray points and some points that are nearly on top of each other. If you zoom in and look closely at the top and bottom edges you'll see what I'm talking about. The stray and extra points are making the polygon mesh overly complicated and in some instances creating bad geometry (stray points).

I'll look more into this with this new object tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

431 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  16:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using the 001.s3d model that I worked on previously, after getting a successful boolean operation, I then converted to a polygon mesh and added the beveled edges. Is this what you are looking for?

Image Insert:

28.85 KB

FYI - I did do some clean up by dissolving extra unnecessary points.

You can use the polygon editor make further edits is this model is useful to you...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpzz0hn6wksttfg/001_w_Bevel.s3d?dl=0

Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  09:47:22  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think I must just be rusty. Thanks for the model.

I've been using Strata since Blitz but never really got the hang of the polygon editor. If I could just get the hand of that and the subdivide feature, I think I might make some great strides.

I know I've used Boolean operations a lot in the past. And they always worked. I usually design the shape in Illustrator, then import, extrude and then pop it full of holes with Boolean operations.

Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

431 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  10:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll enter a ticket for this so it can get looked at, in case it's something that can be made to work better.
Go to Top of Page

FlashInPan
A Regular

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  12:28:00  Show Profile  Visit FlashInPan's Homepage  Send FlashInPan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You rock!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000