Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  08:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FEATURE REQUEST_Esko type fold-up capabilities

One of the most useful plug-ins Strata has had was the Esko folding utility. Our clients routinely ask us to create 3D renderings of their boxed products and pallet configurations.

This folding box feature makes it very easy to generate an accurate folded box (maps and UVís) based on the manufacturers provided Illustrator or pdf box dielines. Esko currently has a stand alone application that will do this in association with Adobe Illustrator, works fine. One of the best things about Eskoís folding app is how it can generate, preset and standard, manufacturing substrates
(with thickness) and appropriate texture maps.

The worst aspect of the Esko arrangement is all the laborious steps one needs to go through and an expensive price point. It would be a great addition to StrataCX if it included the above outlined capabilities and would create Strata native files for rendering all within one application. See Gallery for support image on this topic.

Hopper

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  09:25:33  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while, but I could swear a similar feature was in Strata.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1391 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  09:30:30  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a Esko based plugin for Strata for a while, but it was eventually dropped.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  09:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Strata wants to be a tool for package designers/graphic designers, this tool would be essential. Also no one else has it except Esko. It is a main tool for our firm so we use the Esko standalone somewhat regrettably.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  09:49:00  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If it was dropped, then either Esko decided to no longer license it to Strata or the cost became too prohibitive.

Good luck getting it back. You'd be better off using an older version of Strata.
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  12:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I was pointing out was a very valuable tool for Strata to have or to develop. This tool made the process of folding and creating thickness to geometry then to use the Adobe Illustrator artwork to create the UV's and associated texture maps, virtually at the same time. Doing that all manually in Strata or any other 3D application can be very time consuming and labor intensive.

Our clients demands, in turn around times, are becoming shorter and shorter. Having something work like this is valuable to us and our clients. Thus any developer that can make an extension like this would be more sought after by professionals like me. These sorts of tools are considered productivity enhancements. I suggest software developers listen to professional's and create tools that can make us all more productive and profitable .

Sincerely, Mike

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  12:31:33  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would normally agree with you, but the question is: How many sales would be generated by having something like this? Then, will the cost to produce it be worth it?

I don't have that information, but the fact that Strata decided not to keep it might be our answer. Just not enough of a market.
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  04:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are a professional Graphic Designer doing package design your clients are asking for this type of renderings on a regular bases. The Esko stamdalone app can exceed $1500. Over time it will certainly pay for itself from your clients request on a regular bases, believe me. Look, I don't mean to be disrespectful but what are the market niches Strata concentratss on and makes money? What I have seen lately here one might agree that Architectual renderings is one area.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  05:59:58  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think you hit it. Mostly architectural. It appears Esko has already cornered that niche market, hence the high cost as there probably aren't a ton of sales. They are trying to move into VR, but who knows. I love Strata, but I rarely use it these days.
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
742 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  13:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too, but Strata seems to have a drifting focus on where it seems or wants to fit. I don't know what it would take to build an Esko type section of the StrataCX app but it really could be an increase sales
opportunity since Esko is so expensive and it seems to be the only game in town. What kind of leggs will VR have I wonder?

Hopper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000