New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gcoppo
Infrequent Poster

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  14:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have clients that request models for projects related to the ones I'm working on. I don't like to sell them but it engenders bad vibes when I don't. How do others deal with this, and if they do sell them, how to price them?

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1384 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  14:44:36  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can sell them with restrictions (no resale or use by other than the client, no use by subsequent version of the company or company that acquires this company, internal use only - no publication are all options.

But basically you may be selling unlimited use for that client. You should price accordingly. If you feel it is something that will be used repeatedly, make them pay for the privilege.

Offer them different levels of purchase, based on time and usage, or full use forever. Price accordingly.

Or be hard-nosed and say this is internal intellectual property and is not for sale.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 07/14/2017 09:42:34
Go to Top of Page

gcoppo
Infrequent Poster

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  18:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response. Have you done this, and if so how did it work out? I assume monitoring their usage, if the model is sold with restrictions, is a problem?
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  05:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gcoppo

Thanks for your response. Have you done this, and if so how did it work out? I assume monitoring their usage, if the model is sold with restrictions, is a problem?

"Monitoring their usage" is kind of a weird way to put it... You could simply tell them that the price of the models depends on their intended use of the model. Most likely, you would just be "Licensing" them to use the model for certain specific cases....not transferring ownership of the model to their company...those are 2 very different things.

You could think of it in the same terms as a stock photo (or model) site... when you "buy a model" from those sites...you're not really buying the model at all.... you are buying a license to use the model in a very specific way.

So I would just ask them what kind of license they need (how they intend to use the model, and send them an agreement. (You could look up standard agreements, or make one yourself...probably inspired by one that you could find on a "stock model" site). Most likely, you'd be giving them permission to use the model in their commercial projects, giving them the ability to sell or profit from images and videos that feature the model... but restricting them from re-purposing and re-selling the model outright.

And in your communications with the company, it could help to stop referring to the transaction as "buying the model", and start referring to it as "licensing the model" ..This should hopefully get them to realize right off the bat that you wouldn't be selling them all exclusive rights to the material.

As far as "monitoring them" goes... I wouldn't be creepy or weird about it... if the company agrees to your terms, and you document the process officially, then just keep your eye out for any sign that they aren't acting in good faith.
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  06:16:32  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This a similar problem that graphic artists have when they do a project for a client and then want the original files.

How I've gotten around this problem is when they sign the contract, it states that all original artwork is the property of the artist, not the client. If the client wants the original artwork, I have a fee in place for that depending on the amount of work involved.

Basically the client is trying to avoid future costs by using you for future work. By having the original artwork, in this case the 3D models, they can cut you out of future projects. This has to be compensated when purchasing the models. Estimate how much work you think you would miss out on and then charge that for the models.

The key is to have this in the initial contract. If it doesn't state they get the original artwork, then it's not part of the project. The project was for the finished piece, not the tools that went into it making it, the tools here being the models.

This can be a touchy subject, but they are basically trying to keep from using you again in the future, so you aren't really killing off a client if they are asking for the models. Get what you are owed.

FYI: On Fiverr, all 3D artists state they own the model. If you want the model and not just the finished image/movie, you HAVE to pay extra.

Edited by - MacSavers on 07/14/2017 06:19:08
Go to Top of Page

gcoppo
Infrequent Poster

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  06:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally_B

[quote]Originally posted by gcoppo

Most likely, you would just be "Licensing" them to use the model for certain specific cases....not transferring ownership of the model to their company...those are 2 very different things.

As far as "monitoring them" goes... I wouldn't be creepy or weird about it... if the company agrees to your terms, and you document the process officially, then just keep your eye out for any sign that they aren't acting in good faith.

Thanks for your ideas. I like the concept that it's just licensing, that should drive home the limited usage concept to the client. Creepy or weird, who me?
Go to Top of Page

gcoppo
Infrequent Poster

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  06:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by MacSavers

This a similar problem that graphic artists have when they do a project for a client and then want the original files.

I agree, it is like turning over original files. I've done that for them in the past, and it kills me to see other freelancers hired to use those files. Of course, it's difficult to force how much something is going to be used.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Macie
A Regular

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  15:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Tom Macie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't let the files out but it sometimes depends on the rapport I have with the client. Usually, its the information within that they are after, maps or geometry, but not usually both. I'll focus my response to the request on what they're after rather than handing the thing over as a complete file.

Strata is virtually unheard of in the architectural design world so a simple explanation that they wouldn't be able to do much with it if I gave it to them is sufficient - then they'll usually ask for the part they want.

One could also easily say, "we don't provide these files", and if pressed explain that there's a lot of proprietary information within that has taken years to develop that you can't share.

It all goes back to rapport with the client. Long-term, good standing = yes. Flash-in-the-pan, pennywise and pound foolish = no.

Edited by - Tom Macie on 07/17/2017 16:03:36
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
271 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  01:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gcoppo

I have clients that request models for projects related to the ones I'm working on. I don't like to sell them but it engenders bad vibes when I don't. How do others deal with this, and if they do sell them, how to price them?

If you are comfortable to sell the models than sell it at a price that you consider OK to be compensated.

If you are not comfortable to sell the models than be not afraid to let your client know that the models are Not For Sale (eg. you have limited licensing in releasing such 3D assets).

It's very common that 3D asset provided for a rendered image is not included in the final sale (presuming you're talking about a render).
Go to Top of Page

gcoppo
Infrequent Poster

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  05:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to follow up, I offered the model, but they balked at the price.
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  05:27:41  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not surprising. They were trying to save money by cutting you out, that much is obvious now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000