Dissolving Pills
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TravisK
Inquisitive

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2017 :  12:05:44  Show Profile  Visit TravisK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi gang,

I'm attempting to animate a couple pills being dropped in a cylinder container of liquid and breaking up into smaller pieces as the cylinder spins and eventually dissolving. Is there an easy way to animate the breaking up of the pills into smaller pieces within Strata or am I better off trying to tackle this in AE?

Thanks for the help!

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2017 :  12:18:38  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is a shatter function, but you still might be better using AE. Although, you could use the combination of them together and it should work pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

TravisK
Inquisitive

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2017 :  13:46:23  Show Profile  Visit TravisK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion on using the shatter or explode function. Is there any way to modify those settings beyond the initial "Tumble / Gravity / Life / Duration" window? I think this would work, but don't like how the action starts in the middle of the object and works it's way to each opposite end...

quote:
Originally posted by MacSavers

There is a shatter function, but you still might be better using AE. Although, you could use the combination of them together and it should work pretty well.

Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2017 :  13:57:48  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I know of, but I've only played with the settings very little. Someone else here might have more knowledge about it than I would.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  07:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Travis,
Back in our Studio's Strata-only days, we tackled some animations like this.

If you have no choice but to complete this whole animation inside Strata, then you have a couple of limited options... otherwise, the best advice is to do what MacSavers suggested, and use After Effects (or Hitfilm *free*)

In Strata, Physics only applies to particles... so if you want a physics based system of Dissolved pill bits, then you'll have to set up an emitter. There's no way to bring a "Shattered" Mesh to life other than animating the individual parts separately. Strata's system is limited by the fact that there's no real way to introduce a turbulence field... Under the Motion FX tab, you can find the "wander" setting, which you can apply to items, but not to particles...

All that said... if you get SUPER creative with the way you set up your particles and potentially some individually animated elements... you might get to a point where you are happy... but I don't think that realism is in the cards...

As far as the pill itself dissolving... we used some very elaborate animated masks to cover some effects like this back in the day...so that could be worth looking into.

Long story short... none of these ideas will get you a top-tier looking video... it might work if you don't need your final product to be convincing though. Strata never claims to be an animation powerhouse. Using a compositing software to do all of these effects would be infinitely better in every way. Use After Effects to bring in your base 3D footage (one layer for your animated pill, and render out a second video of JUST your background to give even more flexibility), and handle all your particle and dissolving effects there... or not having that (it's a worthy investment if you do this for work....) use Hitfilm... it's free.

Edited by - Wally_B on 06/16/2017 07:04:34
Go to Top of Page

TravisK
Inquisitive

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  07:46:22  Show Profile  Visit TravisK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks guys. I was thinking that would be the response I'd get but wanted to double check. Hopefully Strata will get there one day with the animation side of 3D. I have limited experience with AE, but I think most of the "dissolve" techniques I've seen online use Trapcode Particular and I don't have that plugin. Will check out Hitfim and see what that's all about.

Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  06:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Travis

The included "Particle World" Effect in After Effects is better than you're giving it credit for... you can pull off lots of nice particle effects with it.

We have Particular here at work, but we've also used Particle World for some projects, so I've seen the differences... you should explore the possibilities there... I think you should be able to get there without Particular.

This is unrelated, but relevant...
...This job, of creating animated content is really fun. It can be tedious and frustrating at times, but it's very creatively challenging, and extremely gratifying. I've worked with a few different types of people over the course of the last years, and I can say 100% that the people who haven't been able to cut it were the ones that weren't willing to pursue the problem-solving process.

I'm not saying that's you! The fact that you're here posting on the forum is awesome already... Just an encouragement... get creative with your solutions, and get crazy with your google searches... check out all the weird possibilities. Looking back at our Strata-only days, we pulled off some crazy stuff without even using After Effects... We did stuff like evaporating gasses condensing back into dripping liquid all in Strata...pretty tough to figure out, but definitely possible!

Hang in there and use what you have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000