New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ahmadissawi
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  07:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
How to set the reference of an object (or all objects) in top left for example and not middle centre, when i localise the object in the XYZ Panel...
Thank you

ahmadissawi
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  07:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i mean : i want that the object to be referenced to its top left edge and not middle centre...
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  08:41:27  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can use the option key (Mac) or alt key (PC) to move the objects rotation point which I believe is alway the XYZ point. Just place your mouse over the center, click with the keys held down and move the point.
Go to Top of Page

ahmadissawi
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  10:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello MacSavers and Many thanks really for your quick answer,
However, i really need a quick and ACCURATE way to set to origin point to many edges positions (top left, right bottom and so..), i already know this way since i was strata3D user more than 10 years ago, but in fact i expected that Strata Updated the software and added a new QUICK and ACCURATE tool to control this issue ... :(
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  10:52:56  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I don't know of one. It's definitely been a sticking point for me as well. There is a snap-to-point option for objects, but not for the object's point of origin. I too wish they had added that feature.

About the only thing I know to do is to create a larger cube, position it's center over the object's corner you want, then group the two objects. Then you can rotate the larger cube. Just make the larger cube hidden for rendering.
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

417 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  10:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can numerical set the position of the origin point using the Modeling menu command "Set Object Origin...".

Maybe that will help?
Go to Top of Page

ahmadissawi
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  12:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KEVCO : GREAT ANSWER, although it does Not solve the problem 100%,
But it helps tooooooo much ... Bravo !!!
Go to Top of Page

ahmadissawi
Infrequent Poster

5 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  12:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MacSavers

Unfortunately, I don't know of one. It's definitely been a sticking point for me as well. There is a snap-to-point option for objects, but not for the object's point of origin. I too wish they had added that feature.

About the only thing I know to do is to create a larger cube, position it's center over the object's corner you want, then group the two objects. Then you can rotate the larger cube. Just make the larger cube hidden for rendering.

Many thanks for your help dear MacSavers ...
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  10:40:09  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you set the point of the object (top left corner, for example) at the world origin, you can then set the Object's origin precisely using Set Object Origin: 0.0x, 0.0y, 0.0z.

If the object size is 100x x 200y x 100z, set its position in the Transform palette to -50x, -100y, -50z. This will position the top-right corner exactly at the world origin. Then just send the object origin to 0,0,0.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000