New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  17:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, I'm pretty rusty with CX as mostly doing photography. Am having issues with image map in the texture settings. I have applied a mottled earth tone image map (JPG), but it renders as greyscale (like silver) I tried changing the base color, but results are always greyscale. I'm guessing there is something embedded in the texture which was altered from a CX stock aluminum texture. Or perhaps some other basic error that I inadvertently selected.

thanks for any help on this

See attached

Image Insert:

103.87 KB

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  06:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The image will show up greyscale in Strata if you load an image that is saved in CMYK colorspace...you gotta make sure its an RGB image.

If that's not the issue, maybe one of the other settings in that dialogue are off... like the bits or the greyscale checkbox... You could post a picture of the dialogue box that pops up when you click on the image map for the diffuse for us to take a look...

My money's on the image's colorspace though...pop it open in Photoshop and change it through Image > Mode > RGB
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  10:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wally B, but I never work in CMYK.

I'm guessing it still has to do with having altered a stock texture that was intended to mimic Aluminum.

But then I model so rarely these days, that I could make basic errors.

Here's a screenshot of the color settings dialog.

Image Insert:

126.99 KB
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  10:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. To go about problem solving this, I would turn all of the texture attributes off (click the eyeballs off the the left of each row) then turn them on one at a time, starting with the diffuse color and amount... keep turning em on until the preview goes grey or metallic...then you'll know which value is giving you trouble.

A little known trick is that you can copy an image map from one channel to another by opening up the image dialog (like in your screenshot) and then pressing the copy shortcut (Cmd+c) ...then opening the image dialoge for another channel and pressing (Cmd+v) to paste the texture into the separate channel. So.....

You could try copying your "Diffuse Color" texture, and then create a new material, and then paste the texture image into the "Diffuse Color" channel of the new texture...that could work if you cant fix your original
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

466 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  11:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we could get the texture from you that might help get this figure out faster.

Select the texture in the texture palette and the go to the Plus menu (upper right corner of the Resource palette) and choose Save. Post the texture file (.sft) for us to look at.

Important: If you are using linked maps, then either embedded them in the texture or include them with the posted file.
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  11:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem solved. It must have been related to the Stock Aluminum Texture. I started from scratch and all is right as rain. But thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

466 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  11:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It probably had to do with a setting in one or more of the texture channel pop-out drawers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000