StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 What would you like to see in Strata 9.0?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  14:43:20  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would second this idea of integration with AE and Elements 3D. Elements 3D has a low price point for entry, so there is a fair chance Strata users would try it.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Nichod
Inquisitive

69 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  10:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Manevitch

I'd love to see a development schedule that supports Mac and PC equally, at the same time. I'm on V8 on a Mac but the rest of my team is V7.5 on PCs - this means I can't design anything in V8 unless I'm certain that I'll never need to pass the file to someone else.

--
Lee

I completely agree. No point for me to upgrade if the half a dozen other computers we are using can't be upgraded as well.
Go to Top of Page

ShaddamIV
Infrequent Poster

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  21:45:49  Show Profile  Visit ShaddamIV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just make the OpenGL views display faster during play animation.
It is so difficult to animate when I get 4 fps for a single simple cube with 6 polygons.
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  13:43:05  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Collision Detection at the object/group level (outside of the physics).

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com
Go to Top of Page

SkyArrow19
Infrequent Poster

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  13:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interface things like:
- Selecting multiple textures/shapes/etc at once for deleting
- Ability to organize or group textures/shapes/etc
- Ability to reorder items in the project window (similar to reordering layers in Adobe Illustrator)

Modelling
- Ability to draw and edit an open line in 3D space (using constraints) - often used when setting up a path to sweep
- Booleans - they might be better, but they are still really bad and I simply gave up using them in Strata
- Maybe related to the Boolean issue, an ability to assign antimatter to a specific object and that object ONLY. That would be pretty sweet

Rendering
Nothing. Seriously, the one thing Strata kills it on is rendering. It was already awesome before the last version came out. Probably still some things that power users would like to see, but for the vast majority of us average joe users, this is one area that can be left alone until some of the other things are worked on and improved

Just my opinion of course
Go to Top of Page

studio309
A Regular

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  17:30:48  Show Profile  Visit studio309's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"- Selecting multiple textures/shapes/etc at once for deleting
"

YES!

Jerry Russell
STUDIO 309
www.jerryrussell.com
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  09:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SkyArrow19

Rendering
Nothing. Seriously, the one thing Strata kills it on is rendering.

YES. 1000% in favor of this. The development of the app is very lop-sided right now. The interface and toolset desperately need the developer's attention now.
Go to Top of Page

ShaddamIV
Infrequent Poster

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  19:35:32  Show Profile  Visit ShaddamIV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
-SlowIn SlowOut for all bones and material keyframes.
It's difficult to animate bones and adding tons of keyframe to smooth transitions.
I keyframe every frame a la stop motion.

-Remove all the modal windows : material and others.
I would like to keep the material window always opened while working.

-Faster Animation Preview in the views.

-Support for retina display/UltraHD (optional) : bigger buttons, text and gui.
Working with strata on a 27" 3K is really difficult I can't imagine on a 27" 5K

-Abandon support for inferior MS Windows and take that wasted time to fully improve Strata on the superior glorious god-tier Apple Mac OSX master race. (Sorry, could not resist : )

Edited by - ShaddamIV on 01/20/2016 19:46:36
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  21:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this is even possible, but a function to "Render/Export all textures along with OBJ" in the stacked order they are needed in (obj_diffuse1_png / obj_diffuse2_png / etc). So regardless of how the texture file / combination is put together (by importing actual jpg into texture channel, or simply with a color / internal texture from S3D) for an object in your scene, this special function / add-on upgrade plug-in [I would pay for this], would allow to generate all the necessary PNGs required to fill the corresponding Diffuse / Reflective / Bump channels for AE / C4D, etc, so the looks are the same.

At present I spend hours trying to re-match the texture setup / lighting I had in S3D inside After Effects Element 3D.

Not sure if this would be possible, but would be totally bitchin'!!!!

Thanks,
Alldaron
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:54:06  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tick Tock, I want that texture export as well.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  18:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A camera matching tool like the one Modo 902 has.

https://vimeo.com/148503211

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  21:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How would Modo vary from PFTrack? Also is there any way to import PFT data to Strata? I can't seem to figure it out.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  09:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrTickTock

How would Modo vary from PFTrack?

Modo's camera matcher is really only meant to match a still image for scene setup, and isn't meant for matchmoving like PFTrack. There are some tedious hacks in Modo that could give you a match-move for a video, but it's not the intended use. The modo matcher doesn't detect geometry or anything

I think they're still developing it though, I'd love to see it develop into a full match mover like PFTrack

I DO think that this basic camera match feature would fit into Strata's niche really nicely, since it excels at creating content for visual development type stuff...I think alot of Strata users would use it

Edited by - Wally_B on 02/05/2016 09:41:33
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  13:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another option I would find VITAL.

I know the render window has the "remember" check box, which is nice, but it doesn't "lock the settings" and tie them into that camera when closing/quitting the project.

Would be awesome to have option to lock-in size settings when you create a camera for a scene. After you get the camera all posed and set the size, offer an option to "ALWAYS RENDER WITH THESE OPTIONS" so the camera locks-in and maintains the size/settings assigned.

Most of my renders are at 1920 or 4k, though some are variable/odd sizes, and having to constantly reset this value in my camera render window is annoying - would love that check box option to lock-in sizes in addition to the current "remember" option (which holds for that current session).

Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  13:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the clarification. It seems PFTrack is a huge universe unto itself; I've been playing with it some, trying to integrate with C4D and then back into AE. But of course my scenes in AE and C4D just don't look as good as in Strata, which is "depressing my 3d-soul", lol.

I saw tutorial on exporting cameras/lights etc from MODO into AE for use with E3D / Optical Flares, so at least from a technical standpoint, this would be possible. It would definitely be a "wet dream" (excuse the expression) to sync Strata gorgeous design/textures/scene layout with AE/E3D animation function.

quote:
Originally posted by Wally_B

quote:
Originally posted by MrTickTock

How would Modo vary from PFTrack?

Modo's camera matcher is really only meant to match a still image for scene setup, and isn't meant for matchmoving like PFTrack. There are some tedious hacks in Modo that could give you a match-move for a video, but it's not the intended use. The modo matcher doesn't detect geometry or anything

I think they're still developing it though, I'd love to see it develop into a full match mover like PFTrack

I DO think that this basic camera match feature would fit into Strata's niche really nicely, since it excels at creating content for visual development type stuff...I think alot of Strata users would use it

Edited by - MrTickTock on 02/05/2016 13:47:30
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  18:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I'm totally in left field here, but would be nice to have Strata remember my choice when it asks about "optimize nested nodes" and then save this choice into the scene project settings file.

Additionally offer the ability in a drop-down menu option to optimize nested nodes at a later date if you choose to.
Go to Top of Page

hieronymous
Infrequent Poster

Finland
31 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  02:30:33  Show Profile  Visit hieronymous's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SkyArrow19

Interface things like:
- Selecting multiple textures/shapes/etc at once for deleting
- Ability to reorder items in the project window (similar to reordering layers in Adobe Illustrator)

Modelling
- Ability to draw and edit an open line in 3D space (using constraints) - often used when setting up a path to sweep
- Booleans - they might be better, but they are still really bad and I simply gave up using them in Strata
- Maybe related to the Boolean issue, an ability to assign antimatter to a specific object and that object ONLY. That would be pretty sweet

Rendering
Nothing. Seriously, the one thing Strata kills it on is rendering. It was already awesome before the last version came out. Probably still some things that power users would like to see, but for the vast majority of us average joe users, this is one area that can be left alone until some of the other things are worked on and improved

Just my opinion of course

In addition to what already has been said

Interface:
- select a texture and see which shapes use this texture
- alt-click (OSX) Tool Palette item to switch between items
- group textures
- link textures so that I could create variations of the same texture without having to copy all the settings (this was proposed already)

Modelling:
- alignment and snap guides XYZ

Rendering:
- nothing yet to add
Go to Top of Page

Mike Smith
A Regular

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  08:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Mike Smith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I quite often have to hide elements in a scene to illustrate different views of in interior. With multiple views it would be great to have each camera that memorised a particular set up rather than have to go though a complicated process every time the design changes.

Mike Smith@UNION DESIGN LIMITED
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  05:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- un-triangulate
- rotate around a selected item (object, point, face...) and not the world ( hard to modelise when you rotate the view and the object disappear from the view)
- A better lathe skin, extrude tool, (changing preferences on the fly)
- Importing IGS files
- A real measurement tool, knowing the distance between two points (lines, faces, outside of objects) would be very helpful.
- Changing the size of the object when using subdivide whitout having to expand the object.
Go to Top of Page

ssfm
Infrequent Poster

2 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  23:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Command+ and Command- to zoom in and out!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000