StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 What would you like to see in Strata 9.0?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  09:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little late for this topic to be getting under way, but here it goes: What do you guys need to see in the next version of Strata?

I know the answer for me:

Workflow improvements...period.
This includes:

-A new "Project Palette" with the ability to move and organize layers.
-An animation timeline with clearly distinct frames, and better frame snapping.
-The ability to manage keyframes a little better...stretch out groups of frames, or make frame "selection sets"
-An improved history stack with the ability to undo changes to everything (including keyframe changes) and does not clear itself without being told.

-Updated Transform "handles" ... a floating widget like in most other packages is much more flexible than the "bounding box with little dots" approach that Strata takes.

-Better Selection Set system with the ability to make selection sets out of all types of components

Modeling in Strata is a bit like driving a manual car, there's no extra help, and moving around large groups of points, or smoothing out sections of geometry is very tedious. Some new modeling tools would be very welcome.

Thats it for now. What does everyone else think?

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  17:29:18  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those would be nice fundamental improvements!

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Manevitch
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  14:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see a development schedule that supports Mac and PC equally, at the same time. I'm on V8 on a Mac but the rest of my team is V7.5 on PCs - this means I can't design anything in V8 unless I'm certain that I'll never need to pass the file to someone else.

--
Lee
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  17:56:29  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see some organic modeling tools like smoothing, pulling, pushing... I've taken to Sculptris to do this, can't afford zBrush. I've found the tools in Sculptris are enough though. Add those to Strata and it would have everything you'd need to model.
Go to Top of Page

Caspian
A Regular

New Zealand
165 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  05:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Caspian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A retina ready interface would be nice.

Caspian
www.smoothfluid.com
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  07:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
an easy save selection item

undo when loosing selection (can be a pain in the ***)
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  12:09:00  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In the polygon modeler, there's a Reselect function that does this.
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  11:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ability to display and respect profiled color in the texture dialogs and the final renders.

Currently Strata uses the screen profile; but usually we all work in a specific color space like Adobe RGB or sRGB or even ppRGB. Without the ability to display profiled color, the textures and final renders look drab or inaccurate. We have to wait until we open our renders in Photoshop and assign the proper profile to see what we're getting. Much better to be able to see and make aesthetic judgements directly in Strata.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  08:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrChristopher

In the polygon modeler, there's a Reselect function that does this.

Ok just found it, thank I'll make a shortcut for that one!
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  09:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump...
Actually, just trying to make sure this thread doesn't get lost. It's important that people keep hammering away with their suggestions.

Edit: Thanks for adding the sticky!

Edited by - Wally_B on 10/26/2015 10:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  16:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-Yes to Transform Handles - a widget that would offer multiple transform options, even if a modifier key needed.
-And yes to more organic modeling tools. Of course it's all about the interface here.
-I continue to beg for SSS. (Sub Surface Scattering) this is one of the features that can make 3D models either look photo realistic -or even better than photo real.
-Better, more realistic fur/hair. Could have so much fun making fuzzy furniture, whatever.
-Photo realistic DOF effects (emulate camera "bokeh") Another one of the effects that can make scenes look photo real. PShop now has a fairly decent Bokeh DOF emulator. So perhaps use of a depth mask would make post effect more workable using PShop.

It's a crowded field out there. Probably a challenge for Strata to compete on features with the big guns. But perhaps if some really powerful features/effects could be offered -that are not commonly found in other apps- new users might be enticed.

I work primarily in Photo media these days, and the Strata interface for me is always intuitive enough that I can jump back in as needed without having to re-learn a complex interface or workflow.
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  11:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Materials with a "Version drop down menu" to test various MINOR changes without needed to create multiple new textures or "copy from textures". This would house all minor variations (slides higher / lower, etc) inside the same material.

This way you can create one metal texture with multiple settings versions of "reflection amount balanced to smoothness" and the other such sliders.

These would all be contained within the same material, so if you want to test out the various options, you don't have to try and remember how you reached a certain look, or swap around tons of textures in the stacks.
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  11:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also would be neat to have the ability to save a version of the scene to an older Strata format, for collaboration purposes.

At present I export everything as OBJ so they can import to work on the scene.

Edited by - MrTickTock on 11/01/2015 11:12:40
Go to Top of Page

Caspian
A Regular

New Zealand
165 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  21:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Caspian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see more font type supported. Truetype is pretty archaic these days. (only 5% of my typefaces are Truetype whereas 90% are Opentype).

Caspian
www.smoothfluid.com
Go to Top of Page

Manoel Nguyen
Infrequent Poster

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Manoel Nguyen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What would be VERY useful for me:
- export to 3DStudio Max as most of my colleagues are using that and I need to exchange models; their rendering-quality is also better through V-ray
- but a V-ray plugin would be useful too
- 3DS-users have access to huge banks of models and textures; it would be helpful if Strata-users could share models that they have made through a sort of 'Strata Store' (like App Store) where one can sell his models that have cost him days to produce. Strata could skim a fair percentage of the sales. (most users will only have a few useful models to share; models of my architecture will not be interesting for anyone else, so registering an account will not be interesting)
- Strata 8 has lost the option of pasting a picture directly into a texture edit, making it more time-consuming; or black/white picture in the model-window to insert a template. This worked immaculately in Blitz, unreliable in versions until 7.5 (Strata could freeze) and is now totally lost. It's a very powerful tool for me and forces me to model in older versions.
- another lost feature (since Blitz) is making cross-sections in perspective from a building by moving the projection-plane in a modeling-window; a feature that made my competition jealous and my clients happy. (see images)

Image Insert:

66.47 KB

Image Insert:

83.88 KB

Image Insert:

36.19 KB
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:09:41  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the modeling plane clipping is still in there(?)

and so is pasting an image into the texture edit, assuming we are talking about the same thing.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 12/01/2015 12:12:39
Go to Top of Page

Manoel Nguyen
Infrequent Poster

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  14:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Manoel Nguyen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have tried everything; thought it had returned in version 8 but no.
I can only make a cut in Orthographic view, otherwise it acts like a camera-window.

If I copy a picture in Photoshop and paste it somewhere in the texture-edit (like before), the edit disappears and I get the message "Could not complete the 'Paste' command because of a program me error".

Having copied a black/white template from Photoshop or from a render window, back in the modeling window pasting is greyed out (unlike previous versions).

Mano
(Strata-user since version 1! (1990?))
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  17:05:11  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Manoei,

I just experimented with my copy of v8 and was able to make a modeling window show the clipping plane in a non-orthographic view, but the distortion needed too make it happen means it is not really usable.

What about using a large Antimatter box to cut the structure? I realize this is not the same as the lighting is effected by the missing geometry, but it might work...

I agree it would be much better in many cases to have a clipping plane option that is usable in both the modeling and camera windows, and/or a few more notched on the modeling window's perspective slider...

I would highly suggest you send a feature request to the support @strata.com address and ask for a better clipping tool.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 12/01/2015 17:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Manoel Nguyen
Infrequent Poster

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  05:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Manoel Nguyen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just did, but thanks for the suggestions.
The 'antimatter'-solution does affect the lighting in interiors indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Manoel Nguyen
Infrequent Poster

Netherlands
12 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  06:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Manoel Nguyen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another item that keeps bugging me: Cubic mapping!
Ever since Blitz a horizontal map is folding to the sides vertically.
This is very annoying in architecture; 99 of 100 times I have to rotate the texture, often followed by resizing as the values will jump to other values.
Adding a preferences box to regulate such behavior would be a big help.

Keeping handles visible in hidden-line mode would be a help. Often an object is half obscured by another, making it tricky to 'handle'.
Also when an object is too narrow, it can be hard to grab the proper handle.

M
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  05:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something that would be BRILLIANT!!!!!

... and perhaps open Strata to a vast group of After Effects users...

After Effects Element 3D Integration.

Element 3D is fantastic for integrating 3d OBJ models into a video project. However what I haven't been able to figure out is how to export the lighting setup from Strata to After Effects and then the scene in AE looks flat and requires countless hours trying to replicate the look achieved in Strata (which is stunning to say the least).

My current assumed solution is to create the lights as glow panels, as opposed to point lights or spot lights, then when I export the scene as an OBJ, the ground, walls, object, and glow panels will all export, which I can then import to Element 3D.

Additionally the integration would allow all the bump map, reflection map, etc to automatically be incorporated along with complex multiple-layered textures on the OBJ (when stacking textures on an object in Strata).

Would be a neat concept for sure.
Thanks
~ Alldaron

Edited by - MrTickTock on 12/04/2015 05:49:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000