Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  09:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@MrTickTock

I actually do check the new forums and this forum almost every day just for kicks...I don't use Strata much anymore since moving on to Modo, but since I used to spend alot of time here, I check back in like a ritual a couple times a work day and answer when I can...

Here's the thing...this is the ONLY place that exists the whole internet for people to come for Strata questions and support... if someone has a question, they'll come here, or to the new forums to ask it. No one is asking questions or posting things, because I don't believe that there are that many Strata users left. I could be wrong on that... but I don't know what else to think after checking both forums every day for a whole month without seeing one bit of activity on either website.

It does make sense to me though...Strata does have several unique aspects that work well, and give the app some validation in the 3D market...but conversely, there are a huge number of workflow and tool function standards that Strata hasn't kept up with...

People just aren't willing to work with an app that clears their undo history every time they switch to poly-edit mode ...or doesn't allow them to undo selection steps. They won't tolerate not being able to organize or move layers or undo keyframe changes in the project palette... People know that there are other apps that offer modeling tools that could allow them to create some shapes three times faster than you could with Strata's basic tool lineup...and many of the modeling functions that Strata is missing have become standard expectations...

Like brush-type options that push, pull and smooth points... and selection options that make it easier to grab complicated stretches of polygons.

Modeling is the first skill that a new Strata user will test out in the app...since you need to build a model before you do anything else... and the typical user in the current market will be expecting alot of things that are missing... and then they'll move on.

When Strata 8 came out with almost zero new modeling features and NO updates to the project palette, I shook my head and wondered why they spent all their time focussing on rendering again... if people can't create models in Strata as easily as they can in other, much cheaper apps, then they won't work on a project long enough to even GET to the rendering stage.

Edited by - Wally_B on 08/19/2016 09:55:01
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  10:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wally_B, I primarily use Strata now as a render engine, I find the final outcome just stunning. Though for modeling/design, most of what I do is more mechanical in nature for watches and stuff, so I needed quite a bit more accuracy with modeling functions, so I went to Fusion.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  12:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep! I agree...Strata does have a good renderer...but... even with all of their render advancements, it still can't render Sub Surface Scattering, which makes getting convincing organic objects almost impossible... This further limits the pool of potential users to people who are doing hard surface models.

I'm actually watching with alot of curiosity to see what the company does next with the software... I personally think it might be too late for them, but I'd be totally happy to be proven wrong. Your move Strata!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000