StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

mtswishe
Infrequent Poster

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  01:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Measuring from the corners of the bounding box would be a great option (ala Illustrator).

2. True plan oblique views (axonometric to architects) would be a winner.

3. Section views (& yes there is a workaround but it's tedious). Anti-matter is of limited help here.

4. Saved window views (mentioned elsewhere in this topic) and a feature on early versions.

5. Rotation detents (30, 45, 60) would be a big time saver. Early versions had a readout for view rotation. I miss it.

6. Save shapes & instances as Components on export to Collada.

7. Shadow softening on world lights would help.

8. I use SketchUpPro just to do vector renderings. I would pay money for an in-program option. I owned Vector, and used it, but it was awful at best lousy geometry. You could do better.

9. I also have to do any 2d work in Illustrator, which is a cumbersome (and expensive) route to improve the 2d interface in Strata. We should be able to use the grid & nudge interface when editing bezier curves in-program.

By the way, I love the program and still have the disc for v1.0. (I migrated from Super 3-D way back when on my Mac IIc. The underlying logic (shapes, primitives etc. is incredibly congenial for my brain).
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  11:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like I saw this mentioned back in the "Version 7" Feature request thread...but the move, scale and rotate functions need widgets for controlling...

The "Dragging the Edge of the Bounding Box" System has its limitations...this hypothetical transform and scale widget needs to have the arrows with the handles in the corners of the axis for dragging objects by X, Y, or Z plane... and changing the orientation of the tool from "world", to "normal", or "selection average" needs to be a part of these tools too.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1374 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  12:18:07  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wold like to see some options for how the Gravity selection in the Polygon Editor falls off. Right now it is just linear. Maybe a curve editor for the fall off. Also I would like to be able to completely remove selected points from the selection. Maybe the Option key while clicking on a point?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
731 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  12:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see Strata Design 3D become a lot more responsive. Not sure if this is due to handling a lot of geometry or not. I was reluctant to mention this but a friend of mine showed me how C4D handled a complex product pallet scene, which I had saved out as Collada from Strata and opened in his Cinema and wow what a difference just moving objects.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

nautilus_3
Infrequent Poster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  20:43:04  Show Profile  Visit nautilus_3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it hasnt been said already, how about a "Disaster Recovery" feature.. Basically auto save at user specified intervals but take it a step further by Versioning each save up to a user specified ammount. I have lost days and days of work by not saving regularly because i was so deep in thought working on a model then Strata unexpectedly quits or crashes.. Then the horrifing realization that not only was i going to have to start over where i left off from my last save, but now i find that my file is corrupt and completely trashed. Would be nice to go back and find the last best working copy. Doesn seem lie a dificult thing to add

I would also like to see more options for import and export.. Like importing max files and other formats that are currently out there not yet compatable with strata
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  08:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, Nautilus...I took a screen capture of the "Strata Design 3D CX quit unexpectedly" grey error box and taped a printout of it to my monitor for decoration...reminds me to save dozens of versions with OCD-like tenacity.
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  12:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, love seeing these feature requests... would definitely make Strata the best in the market (imo).
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1374 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  15:53:58  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a snapshot feature. This would capture all the settings related to the lights, textures and environment. And an advanced version that also captured the state of the geometry, either globally or of selected items. The reason not to do this using the timeline is that it would be impossible to track down all the variables and set a keyframe for them.

The purpose of this is to be able to set up multiple camera shots with proper lighting and "props" for each camera in one project.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 12/01/2014 10:32:41
Go to Top of Page

Caspian
A Regular

New Zealand
165 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  04:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Caspian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, or if it's too late to add to this thread but it would be awesome if 8.0 to had Retina support.
Go to Top of Page

Nichod
Inquisitive

69 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  10:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Caspian I completely agree. I just installed on my new Retina MacBook Pro, and wow....I was surprised it wasn't.
Go to Top of Page

Nichod
Inquisitive

69 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  19:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not even usable on my MacBook being non-retina...looks awful :(
Go to Top of Page

Caspian
A Regular

New Zealand
165 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  19:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Caspian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup. iMac Retina. It's very hard to look at for anything longer than a short amount of time.
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  06:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be great that the image texture window becomes a palette, that would speed up things when making tests to have the best result on rendering...
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1374 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree. I am constantly finding myself wanting to leave the texture palette open for some quick tests and tweaks.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  17:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking that a step further...a ray-traced preview window that actively updates progressively in "real time" with texture, lighting and geometry changes would be a huge time saver, especially when setting up lighting and material exposures.

Not sure if this is asking too much, but other 3D apps have it, so I'm throwing it out there...such a good feature, and worth considering, since Strata's renderer is already one of it's strong points!
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  17:48:00  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The live progressive rendering would be nice. Even the free program Daz Studio has it now.
Go to Top of Page

ShaddamIV
Infrequent Poster

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  13:14:46  Show Profile  Visit ShaddamIV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After 2 months working 10 hours a day with Strata, the most important feature is :

-A non-modal window for the texture editor.

It is so annoying tweaking a material and having to close and reopen the window every time.
Also this window is too big.
Go to Top of Page

pgrimaldi
Infrequent Poster

France
18 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2014 :  13:28:55  Show Profile  Visit pgrimaldi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Don't know if this feature has been proposed, but I'd like to see antimatter objects restricted to objects within a group (and no applying to every object touching it).

Patrick Grimaldi

MacBookPro
Adobe Suite CS4, Strata Design 3d cx7.5, ZBrush 4
http://www.patrickgrimaldi.net
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
731 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  22:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
v8 better be good. There are so many requests for improvements. Ouch!

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  09:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have we heard, for sure, that they're working on the next release?

Jean?

Chris?

Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000