StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  11:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the input. Yes, things are definitely being worked on. Obviously, not all of the requests will make it into the next release, but we have some great features that many have asked for - and some surprises that you'll be pleased with.
Go to Top of Page

night
Infrequent Poster

23 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  04:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Realistic skin rendering, SSS. Strata has a very powerful renderer, this should be high on the list.
Go to Top of Page

SkyArrow19
Infrequent Poster

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  11:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe too late to make the list for v8, but it would be great to be able to rearrange the order of objects/groups/etc in the project window. Similar to the layers pallet in Adobe programs, being able to grab and pull an item in the list and moving it to another spot would be useful.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2014 :  14:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, you're in luck SkyArrow...I feel like that's one of those things that gets asked for alot. Really hope that Strata is listening in regards to the project palette in general. It's so backwards, and growing more so with every passing year. Getting to the point where I dont even care about new features anymore...what I wouldnt give to just be able to organize my scene and create layers. I think that would cause more jubilation than any new feature.

And speaking of backwards, again...the undo history. Really hoping that gets sorted out. I would love to know what the connection is between entering edit mode, and my history that causes my undo list to be wiped every time I switch. There's no way that working around those types of issues should still be a part of anyone's workflow.

Edited by - Wally_B on 09/26/2014 10:13:41
Go to Top of Page

MHBrown
Infrequent Poster

22 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  10:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss "Edit Selected," unless it is back and I didn't notice.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1372 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  12:45:28  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Modeling/Edit Object (command-L). Use Command-E when done.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

ErickSmith
A Regular

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  12:49:55  Show Profile  Visit ErickSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
64 Bit please so we can move past 2003 file sizes.

Any serious models need to be rendered on other software. Strata would be extremely improved if it was 64bit.

Intel Core i7 Extreme 980
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800
24GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Go to Top of Page

Manevitch
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  22:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
16 bit-per-channel color would be nice. We're already working with HDRI data in the lightdome, so keeping high-bit data would be nice for post-processing. Especially because of wish #2:

Proper color management. It would be phenomenal to render to a particular output profile - sometimes I need sRGB; sometimes I need Adobe RGB, and sometimes I need SWOP CMYK output. Dealing with flat data with no discernible working profile makes it more difficult. Heck, even if the image was just tagged with some profile I could do the transformation in Photoshop...

--
Lee
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  23:11:15  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lee, when you open the image in photoshop, assign your monitor profile, and then do your conversion to a working space. That's all there is to the color profile part.

Extra color data, on the other hand, would be a big help.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Manevitch
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  08:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in a world where assigning a monitor profile would have me led out of the building in cuffs. Matrix-based RGB profiles are what we use; we'd never consider measurement-based profiles for that. Too many little "hiccups" in the profile for what we do. And is it really even the monitor profile that's being used at render time? Even a white paper from Strata explaining where the color comes from would be a big help.

--
Lee
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  09:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Even a white paper from Strata explaining where the color comes from would be a big help." -Manevitch.

I second that, wholeheartedly!

Mark

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  09:57:39  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lee, I think you misunderstand what I am saying. What you see on your screen in Strata is the color as your monitor is calibrated and profiled. If you are composing to what you see on your monitor, then when you open your image in Photoshop, you need to apply your monitor profile to see what you saw in Strata. This will allow you to see in Photoshop what you saw in Strata. Then you convert your image to the working space you want to edit in. I would never edit in my monitor profile. (My monitor profile is actually matrix based, but I wouldn't edit int it)

If you are working in color spaces that don't fit in your monitor's gamut, it is more difficult. For instance, if you are trying to match PMS solid coated colors, it can be much more complicated, and some of that comes down to what your monitor is actually capable of displaying.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Manevitch
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  10:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I get it - but sometimes I'm give a very specific color build or even a Pantone color spec, and relying on my monitor's calibration (or any measurement-based profile) for that can be tricky. It's not insurmountable, but it does require a trip into Photoshop and a transformation from monitor to matrix-based working space - and then massaging the colors until they're where they need to be. It would be so much simpler if I could spec the color in a known RGB or CMYK color space and trust that what I chose is what I get on output.

Hey, this is a "wish list" thread, right? :-D

--
Lee
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  12:10:24  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think full color management through a renderer is a pretty tall order, especially if you are going PMS to RBG to CMYK. PMS yellows really get a number done on them through the transformations, so I know where you are coming from.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2014 :  12:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The product line I work with is predominantly yellow. In order for the final image to be appealing, my yellows have to tend toward golden tones. To do this I must make sure magenta leads the cyan percentages in the yellow midtone and shadow areas of an image. Standard sRGB, or even Adobe RGB doesn't play nice with yellow and usually allows cyan to dominate too much, giving me sickly yellows.

I have found that ProPhotoRGB, a fairly wide gamut RGB, works best for my images and allows me to keep my yellows appetizing. Since I establish all of my textures and color builds in ppRGB, Strata's lack of color profiles makes my renders look drab and unsaturated. All of the texture previews and renders are being displayed in some other, smaller color space (I don't know what space, a white paper on the subject would tell us); but once the render is made, I bring it into Photoshop and ASSIGN, NOT CONVERT, the colors as ppRGB. The render then displays with its proper saturation, and makes a good quality CMYK separation before I go to print.

If Strata had a color management system, the renders would still be handled like they are today, but it would be able to display the ppRGB colors in their true saturation in the texture and render windows, and I wouldn't have to wait to get it back in Photoshop to judge the results.

Mark

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2014 :  12:18:58  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that all makes perfect sense, Mark. I don't use ProPhoto, because it is too wide gamut, and can give you lots of banding on 8 bit images... but I do have to take similar steps with yellow otherwise.

If the render window could view the image with a color profile, you would be able to see what you would get in photoshop.

I will reiterate this. The rendering you are seeing in Strata is being displayed directly in your monitor's color space. That's all there is to it, so it would be a very short white paper.

What you do when you assign ProPhoto RGB in photoshop is to interpret the image in a different color space. That is valid, too, if you don't want to retain the color you see in strata.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  09:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if I want consistent color to be visible throughout my process in Strata, I must build my textures in my monitor's unique RGB space? If I merely wanted my work to look good on my own monitor, that might be a workable system...

Don't get me wrong. I like Strata, and it does very good work for me. But the lack of the ability to display profiled images (textures, colors picked directly in Strata, and renders) is a deficiency. The workaround I described in my previous post yields predictable results. And being an old-school printer, I'm used to trusting a densitometer over a screen representation; but most programs these days respect profiles when displaying images. I hope Strata 8.0 will join them. It would make things a lot easier.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  11:16:15  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most 3d programs do?

At any rate, I would like the rendering window to be able to display images with a profile, too, so I understand.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  13:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this video to be super informative in helping me to understand color spaces as they relate to my monitor and 3D Apps...just posting it here on the off chance that someone reading this wanted more info on the topic. The guy in the video is using and talking about MODO, but maybe it'd give you some ideas for your feature suggestion for Strata.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGdArCyHWo
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  16:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wally,

That's a wonderful presentation. Thanks for sharing. I hope the Strata folks are working on something similar, or at least moving in that direction.

If not, we know how to manage; but it sure would be nice to have that level of control over the color space.

Mark

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000