StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Nichod
Inquisitive

69 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  13:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for commenting Ken. You guys have been making leaps and bounds.

I do hope that the forums will also be looked at. Quite a few issues with the current forums. A transition to the new ones with these archived would be appreciated. I'd also like to see more divisions in the forums. A general/news, works in progress, and etc. A good front face is always a good thing, and the current forums lack that.

Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  17:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bringhurst

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. We're listening - but I can't say that everything everybody wants will make it into this next release - but we'll definitely get some of the key elements in that people have been asking for over time.

We saw some great posts in the gallery recently, it reminds me when release of VS6 was close to disclosure day.

Shall we happily presume that we are close to the release date for VS8?

That would be a nice surprise for the year.
Go to Top of Page

silversurf
A Regular

Australia
263 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  18:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- Improving on current bezier curves tool and bezier modelling tools.
- Project window, ability to move object/elements and create folders/groups.
- Dedicated render preview window.
- Strata Wiki, online documentation and reference.
Go to Top of Page

dgould
Infrequent Poster

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  12:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't read thru every post, so forgive me if these have already been posted.

My wish list -

• 64 Bit!

• Render to vector (Please bring this back)

• Distribute Spacing (Like Adobe Illustrator) Not step and repeat.
- This would allow multiple sized objects to be evenly distributed & aligned (like on a store shelf), right now I have to do this manually and it sucks!

• 3D type - Curved multiple directions (Left to right, top to bottom)
- This would allow you to mold/wrap 3D type to a torus shape or any shape.

• Object anti-collision (Defined object attributes, to keep other objects from overlapping)
- For example. When I'm filling up a box or dump bin with objects, I have to do it manually, and I have to adjust every object so that it looks like it is filling up my box or dump bin randomly. If I could define an object (with anti-collision or whatever you want to call it.) then tell it to populate within a defined object, then it will fill up my box or dump bin automatically and randomly. This would be a huge time saver.

• Delete all textures at once from objects (or select textures)

• Better/easier rotation, pan and zoom controls (holding shift/space bar and grabbing the arrows is very cumbersome.)

• Better default settings for transparent objects (right now when rendering plastic, frost or glass it is difficult to get good quick results. Embedding a reflection helps but not always. I usually have to adjust this in Photoshop to make it look right. Fake 'til you make it.

• SSS / Texture Space Diffusion

• Some sort of way to quickly adjust texture map resolutions (for close up and far away camera views)

Edited by - dgould on 04/18/2014 13:39:06
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  13:19:26  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I Like your list dgould!

Britt
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  15:14:55  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Add an Edit button to the texture import dialog that allows you to designate an external editor for a texture image. This would allow us to access high bit images with Photoshop. This could work similar to how iPhoto allows external editors. They use a right click option with a drop down menu selection of the command.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

jquan8799
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  11:56:33  Show Profile  Visit jquan8799's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been playing with textures as of late and am finding the Interpolation method controls too coarse. What would be nice is for a multipoint bezier curve graph to control both Interpolation and the incidence angle values.

Also, for the Texture and FX palette, an Opacity setting for each texture would help fine tune blending of textures.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  15:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the mean time, Using the "Stencil" Attribute at the bottom of the texture options should help you adjust the opacity of individual textures. (0% for transparent, 100% for opaque) Just make sure you have it set to fade to transparent instead of white in the pull out menu.
Go to Top of Page

jquan8799
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  23:20:30  Show Profile  Visit jquan8799's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I do that now. What I mean by an opacity control in the Texture & FX palette is to be able to reuse the same textures at different opacity levels without having to duplicate a texture to do the same. At least it would declutter the Resource Texture tab.

As to the first, I want to blend textures with a precise falloff based on viewing angle and was running into not being able to set the Interpolation curve to something other than linear, cosine, or fresnel. A bezier curve seems the most visual route to me. If I am missing something obvious I am all ears.

Anyhow, Strata is still my go-to renderer after all these years!
Go to Top of Page

Mark Sweeney
Inquisitive

88 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  12:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Mark Sweeney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 2’:
Drag and Drop grouping/ungrouping - be able to select an object in the Project window and drag it out of the group, or drag a new object into the group.

FBX export with Bones and Animation intact.

+1 for Layers - to be able to hide/show layered objects would be a godsend.

Exports to Collada that does not reset centerpoints of objects to world coordinates of 0,0,0.

High poly to low poly normal map creation.

High poly to low poly texture map creation.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  16:06:57  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark wrote:

Mark, what exactly are you referring to here?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Mark Sweeney
Inquisitive

88 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  13:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Mark Sweeney's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tbgriswold

Mark wrote:

Mark, what exactly are you referring to here?

Britt

It's where you have a UV-mapped low poly model, and a high poly model in the same position & pose. The program creates a Normal Map (similar to bump map) using the difference in height between the surfaces of the low poly and high poly model.

This way you can apply the Normal Map to the low poly model in a 3D engine to get extra surface detail and smoothing without using a high poly model.

High poly to low poly texture map creation is similar, but you have a high poly model with large, detailed UV maps that are used to generate a lower rez UV map for the low poly model.

Blender does this, as does most other 3D software.

Here's an example below for the Normal Map.

The left is the high poly, the middle is the low poly, and right is the low poly model with the Normal map generated by the difference in height between the low and high poly model.

Another example with low poly model, UV map, Normal Map and how it looks when put together:

Edited by - Mark Sweeney on 06/06/2014 13:59:51
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1369 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  10:56:02  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Very useful for modeling game assets!

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Kelly36
Infrequent Poster

1 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  15:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to try a viewer to showcase your 3D rendering. It’s a great way to promote your work online. Just google search: Makerpicks 3D.

Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  04:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing:
In the image map window ad an "edit" button for linked files, that refers to the OS linked files system ex.".psd" open with Photoshop
Go to Top of Page

jquan8799
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  11:31:25  Show Profile  Visit jquan8799's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing sorely needed is a complete set of scripting documentation.
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  17:56:25  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I ever added this, but...

I do a lot of my modeling in the spline style. I haven't had the time or dedication to model from scratch using SDS, even though I love the results it provides.

I've tried converting spline models to polygon meshes and then testing the subdivision, but if it's a bunch of grouped spline objects, it doesn't convert it as a single shape or the conversion keeps the literal spline shape, which is probably more likely.

I realize that doing it this way isn't the preferred way to work. Still, it would be nice to have a group of spline objects convert to a polygon mesh where the subdivision would produce a nicer shape. I'd love to do SDS to tweak, not to build from scratch.

::shrugs:: Probably not doable as there is a bit too much ambiguity in how different people put objects together, but since it's a wish list, why not ask, right?

Edited by - MacSavers on 07/14/2014 17:57:12
Go to Top of Page

ShaddamIV
Infrequent Poster

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  21:54:02  Show Profile  Visit ShaddamIV's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1-Full interpolation of rotations (for smooth animation when rotating more than one axis at a time)

2-Skeleton slow-in slow-out

3-Just solve all the bugs in the skeleton system.

4-Naming object is broken at least since version 5

5-Smooth interpolation with slow-in slow-out for camera roll (tilt)

6-When the camera is linked to an object, it should rotate with it.

7-The ressource palette must be vertical (the is not enough vertical space on a 16:9 monitor)

8-All the edit tools must be the same for every kind of objects. (there are some inconsistencies)
Go to Top of Page

iBrutus
Infrequent Poster

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  08:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, (Formerly known as isis on here - But in light of world troubles and respect have re-registered.)

Anyway... all of the requests are good but please please please can we have a back up/ auto save function.

Chris.

Go to Top of Page

caustix
Infrequent Poster

Brazil
30 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  11:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

This thread has had it's second anniversary by now. Would be nice to hear if anything is beeing worked on ;-)

Any future plans?

Regards.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000