StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Roy Sullivan
Infrequent Poster

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  14:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Roy Sullivan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If a tighter integration with POSER PRO 2012 could be had that would be nice. Also, I find it Spain when I I port a model and have to delete all the materials one at a time and still,have click on the question box Are You Sure You Want to Delete etc.
One more thing. A recovery file for crashes would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

Roy Sullivan
Infrequent Poster

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  15:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Roy Sullivan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oooops, seems I've posted my reply to the wrong area. Apologies. I was hoping to see a tighter integration with Poser Pro for importing figures with bones etc.
Also, deleting materials from the library more than one at a time would be nice. Quite painful having to delete one at a time after I import a poser figure or any other model.

Maybe a recovery file for crashes too?
Go to Top of Page

CHUSKY
Infrequent Poster

France
26 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  06:25:09  Show Profile  Visit CHUSKY's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd really like to see :

- SSS support
- Great particles effects
- Grass abilities : something more effective than the real old and powerless "Hair"
- 360ー magic mouse support for moves and zooming. However, a new way to easily move around the scene or object (I especially think to something like wings3D)
- a great update on 3D Vector plug'in : Transparency and cool gradients...
- Strata.com's official Render farm

PowerMac 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Go to Top of Page

caustix
Infrequent Poster

Brazil
30 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  17:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wishes are concerning usability:

- scale function for curves to be able to scale a profile of a path extrusion object
- copy/ paste/drag© in the image texture editir, to be able to simply drag a texture from one into the other channel
- append function for curves to append two or more curves into a single one to be able to contruct 3d paths more easily
- save render image size individually for each camera instead of gobal render

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  14:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkG

In addition to:

A full resolution backdrop system in the modeling windows that allows the use of true template images like most other 3D programs.

I don't understand what it is about our current Backdrop and Grid Template systems that don't meet your requirements. Could you explain a bit further for me please? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  15:19:39  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we should put together a tutorial on how to do it in Strata. It seems to be confusing for most people who come from other 3D applications.
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  17:48:18  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken, other apps have high resolution template images. We are currently limited to very low resolution templates that are not very helpful in some situations. They are particularly under-powered for UV editing when you want to match UVs to an image, but also in many other circumstances where the resolution is too low for detail work. MarkG may have other thoughts on manipulating the templates as well.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 11/11/2013 09:20:54
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  23:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok. Just did some further testing and I see that we're limiting the resolution of grid based templates. I'm sure grid templates are what you guys must want to be using for modeling, so I'll make sure that the team is aware of that one. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  16:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, what Jean said...

Thanks for looking into it!

M.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  05:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love that the sizes takes consideration of the subdivision. For example, when making a bottle I make it in low res poly, when you subdivide the shapes it shrinks. When working on exact sizes it's hard to control the smoothing&size of the shape.
So the size palet should give the sizee of visible poly and not the lowres poly of that shape.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  00:38:09  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hello all. Old time user (Blitz anyone?)...long time lurker for the past few years. I see a lot of old faces are still here, and a few new ones. The features I've always missed were the limited animating, and effects tools. It's one of the reasons I left for other pastures. But the modeling precision, and the beauty of Strata's rendering engine always has me keeping an eye on the software. The modeling tools are finally more up to modern standards while retaining there grid based precision. Nice work!

I'd really like to see work done to modernize the animations, and effects areas. I'd expect baby steps, but offering bullet physics, non-linear animation, driver/expression based animation controls all integrated within a nice updated interface. The current animation tools don't carry the more modern appearance we see in the toolbar, and materials.
Go to Top of Page

caustix
Infrequent Poster

Brazil
30 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2013 :  08:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

thought this features would come in handy when working on larger projects:

Add a few commands to the context menu of the selected object (modeling window):

1) Select Parent: selects the parent group of the selected object (perhaps showing the name of the parent group)
2) Select in Project Window: Expands the project window node structure until the selected item (maybe doesn't make sense for multiple selections)
3) Show the name of the selected object somewhere (if it's hidden by the node structure). Maybe in the statusbar of the project window. (For multiple selections may show 'Multiple Selection')

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

MDuchamp
Infrequent Poster

2 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2013 :  07:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something very basic I am missing:
In versions of Strata before 7.0 the monitor would be send to sleep while rendering (depending on the OS-settings of course). I really miss this feature, especially when doing long renders. It would be great and very practical to see Strata not to override the system-settings in the upcoming versions.
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  11:55:23  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My dream request:
I'd really like to see modeling taken to a even higher level with something akin to Groboto/Meshfusion, or even a Sculptris level sculpting with re-mesh/re-topology tools. It seems more, and more applications are adding sculpting/advanced meshing capabilities. It would be great to see Strata taken to that level.

I'm also picking the highlights from this thread that I think I'd appreciate having the most. (in no specific order)

Modeling/Scene Management Improvements

1. Layers. It would be awesome to be able to group elements on various layers in a single document and turn them on and off as required. Working on different floors in the same building could be achieved by keeping all the basic elements on the primary layer. Partitions, furniture, lights and cameras on separate group-able layers.

2. Naming subsets

3. Parametric deformers...something in addition to the ubiquitous cage. These would include a transform deformer (that would move the object parametrically, but maintain it's local coordinates internally), rotate deformer, bend deformer, twist deformer, spherify deformer, etc. Having these deformers work in concert with layers would be beneficial. Look at it like Photoshop where the deformers would be like layer effects

4. Object align/distribute controls like in Adobe Illustrator

5. Create guides (like illustrator/photoshp) to assist in model making

Edited by - Nicholas8681 on 01/31/2014 12:45:05
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  13:41:26  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Would also like to add that I'd like to see the new forums up and running. :)
Go to Top of Page

ZAP666
Infrequent Poster

7 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  13:49:25  Show Profile  Visit ZAP666's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a complete re-write of the animation palette to fix once and for all all the bugs with it when it comes to the twirl down arrows.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  14:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to ZAP666......please...if anyone at Strata reads these...the project palette is a nightmare. Please update it, it's the single biggest UI need. New modeling and texture features are totally necessary, but one of Strata's big draws is its simpler (by comparison) user interface...and you're losing it with all of the problems the project palette is known to have. It could be so much more...expand it's usability and fix it's bugs.
Go to Top of Page

Nichod
Inquisitive

69 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  07:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that the below is a 15 minute hack. I just wanted to throw the idea out there more, and provide a nice visual to Strata illustrating how nice a layers panel could be to have.

Image Insert:

111.63KB

Some of the "icons" won't work since it's a pure copy/paste from Photoshop to Strata concept. This is just an initial concept of how it could look. But I envision each layer having the icon to the left of the name that shows what type of object it represents: bezier surface, polygon mesh, text, group, instance etc. In my vision the modeling commands palette goes away. Some of the tools get integrated into the side toolbar (ie. align handles, make first point), and some become "layer effects" (meld, fillet, subdivision surface, etc.). Attributes could also be added here, and I think being able to add script fx would be useful. The search filter at the top would allow users to filter the list by type (bezier, text, instance, light etc), search for name, etc. Very useful functionality in more complex scenes.

In addition, guides, and grids would be displayed here at the top (like the project window). Definitely needs to be some thought in what exactly would be displayed, and how/where but it's an improvement that would greatly enhance Strata, bringing it even more align into the Adobe concept for Designers.

Even more features could be extended into the layers palette. You could have subsets selectable in polygon edit mode where in the layers palette it changes to display the model name, and then below it any subset polygon selections that are available. This way the user could simple click on it in the layers to select that group of polygons quickly and efficiently.

Edited by - Nichod on 02/07/2014 08:00:39
Go to Top of Page

Nichod
Inquisitive

69 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  08:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE to see animation improvements. I do kind of lean more towards fleshing out Strata's modeling, and scene organization tools before the diving into animation. But a little bit of everything would be welcome, as long as improvements are focused.

Another feature I discussed in the Magic Wand Tool thread is that polygon ring, and loop selection would be a very useful addition.

Edited by - Nichod on 02/07/2014 08:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  11:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. We're listening - but I can't say that everything everybody wants will make it into this next release - but we'll definitely get some of the key elements in that people have been asking for over time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000