StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

markomark
Infrequent Poster

37 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  11:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
• STP OUT
• STL OUT
• Multiple file OPEN from OPEN dialog box
• SHIFT CONSTRAIN for Bezier curve point editing
• Auto edge smoothing on poly primitives like KeyShot

Edited by - markomark on 07/02/2013 11:42:57
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  15:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really agree with Vojt as well when he mentioned the "Keyframe Snapping" issues. After much thought and many projects...it seems like certain attributes (Like cycles) tend to snap to actual points in time on the timeline (i.e. 4.2 sec) while others like regular keyframes try to snap to actual frames (i.e. Frame 26). It's nearly impossible get the time slider to line up to some event markers, even after zooming the slider bar all the way in, causing an unintended event marker a fraction of a frame after the last keyframe. Not to say this always happens, but it's pretty frequent.

I think the project window would benefit from a format alot like Flash or Maya 3D where the frames are unmistakeably distinguishable. Would save hours of frustration and extra work.
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  08:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to:

A full resolution backdrop system in the modeling windows that allows the use of true template images like most other 3D programs.

I'd really like to see implementation of the open source SmartIBL system:

http://www.smartibl.com/sibl/index.html
http://www.smartibl.com/sibl/software.html
http://www.hdrlabs.com/tutorials/downloads_files/Smart%20IBL.pdf

You can import and construct environments using SmartIBL manually, and they work great; but it would be wonderful to see Strata 3D 8 ship with a plug in that supports them.

If you're not sure why Strata would benefit from this, read the PDF in the third link. It's a handout from SIGGRAPH 2008 that lays out the method and benefits.

—————————————————
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

markomark
Infrequent Poster

37 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  13:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbible

IGES & STP imports

- Brad

STP AND STL OUTPUTS TOO!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1374 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  20:20:56  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Smart IBL idea has been mentioned before, I agree it would make a great addition to an artist friendly product.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Captain_Pixels
Infrequent Poster

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  13:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enanton

How about being able to export vectors once again and also import models from other 3D programs line Cinema, Maya, and StudioMax

Absolutely! Strata 3D CX needs to learn to play nice with other 3D programs, both importing and exporting models
Go to Top of Page

Captain_Pixels
Infrequent Poster

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  13:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see the following in future releases of Strata 3D CX:

• Import of textured models from other 3D programs (Poser, Bryce, Carrara, 3D Studio Max), specially of objects with UV mapping.
• Ability to delete textures from the resource palette (delete unused doesn't work for me)
• Object align/distribute controls like in Adobe Illustrator
• Ability to manually organize objects in the project window (into groups, layers, etc?)
• Create guides (like illustrator) to assist in model making
• Better measuring system. I know Strata is not a CAD program, but I often need to be able to create numerically accurate models (buildings, interiors, furniture, etc)
• Smart snapping (to guide, point, etc. like in Illustrator) to increase modeling accuracy
Go to Top of Page

dirtyhervy
Infrequent Poster

2 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  05:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After Effects integration.

If Strata claims to be Adobe friendly, Strata should meet After Effects directly somehow too, not just Illustrator and Photoshop.

You can see in After Effects home page how new After Effects CC imports Cinema 4D scenes as layers. You know... the brand "Cinema 4D" is the one showing up at Adobe website, not Strata. Sad.

Strata's project window needs an upgrade.

I am seriously considering of switching to Cinema 4D because of its abilities for motion graphics.

Edited by - dirtyhervy on 08/19/2013 08:53:12
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  03:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
set rendering to projects and not for the whole strata rendering. that would allow to switch form hires render to lowres renders.
Maybe an export option to export the settings but I miss that kind of tweak on rendering.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1374 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  10:47:46  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Colorjaws,

I do not understand what you are asking for. You may need to add some more verbs and nouns...

I am completely missing the context of your suggestions.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 09/12/2013 10:48:52
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  11:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for that poor suggestion I'll try it again and with an
example:

I am working on a bottle on witch the shape of the label is not final.
I will start by modelling the bottle, work on the texture of the bottle, tweak the lights for nice reflection, transparency...

We are sending the rendering to the client for approval. Meanwhile an other team is working on the label size, shapes and design.

when they are ok and the client is ok with his bottle I have to put the labels on the bottle.
And know comes trouble :-)

My render setting are set for Hi-res images. (because the client wants to see his bottle in the best way possible).
But to make the label test I will, to gain some time of rendering, reduce the rendering settings (transparency, reflection lighting samples...).
sadly I lost my render settings for my Hi-Res image. Now I save the render settings but it's becoming a long list for various settings. And they are all clammed in the custom saved setting. I could save the setting in my render folder and load them back when I need it.

But what would be great is that we could save various render setting into the file (.3DS).
And not into the program custom setting.

Would help me also when I am testing different render setting for the same file...

hope it's a little bit more comprehensible.

regards

colorjaws

Edited by - colorjaws on 09/12/2013 11:44:44
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1374 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  14:48:32  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes,

Much more comprehensible. Not sure what the solution is, however. There is currently a way to alter the render settings of individual objects within the project window. But that does not sound like what you are asking for exactly.

It sounds like you want custom render settings to travel with the file. Is that what you are asking for?

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

414 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  15:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could save your project rendering setting to your Strata (.s3d) project folder. Then load them from the project folder in the future. This will help to keep the projects rendering setting with the project, though not embedded in the .s3d file, which I think is what you are asking for.

When you maunally load setting they will appear in the Custom list, but only during that Design 3D session. So, once you close Design 3D and reopen the application, that render setting will not be in the custom render settings list.
Go to Top of Page

jill
Infrequent Poster

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  16:54:21  Show Profile  Visit jill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We΄d love a 64 Bit version. We΄re still having problems with our apple pro...
Qucker rendering at v-ray quality.
ev, vray plug in????
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  03:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that's what I want, custom render settings to travel with the file.

Thanks Kevco, I do that sometimes but still when fine tuning render sittings it would be nice to go back in time on file. other than by saving the settings.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1374 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  10:50:03  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ColorJaws,

Sounds like you want an automated snapshot that records the setting reach time you render. THe pop up a history tab and select an earlier snapshot...

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 09/16/2013 14:27:05
Go to Top of Page

sparky73
Infrequent Poster

36 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2013 :  13:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second skyarrow 13,

A simple modeling feature - controlled rounding/beveling of corners. The ability to simply select a face/edge/point and then enter a radius would just about make me cry with joy. What I am pining for is the super quick method I have experienced with other software.

Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  11:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add my voice to the many others: Weary and long are the days as we wait for a Strata with better memory handling to become available...my extremely capable desktop with the maximum number of recognizable cores and 6 gigs of memory continues to get the "Out of Memory" message while working with models that my Maya machine back home could handle with ease.
Go to Top of Page

bbible
A Regular

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  16:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll second dirtyhervy's comment about After Effects integration.

I just picked up After Effects and began tinkering with it this week and started looking for a way to import Strata files but not so easy.

- Brad
Go to Top of Page

night
Infrequent Poster

23 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  05:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wally_B

Just to add my voice to the many others: Weary and long are the days as we wait for a Strata with better memory handling to become available...my extremely capable desktop with the maximum number of recognizable cores and 6 gigs of memory continues to get the "Out of Memory" message while working with models that my Maya machine back home could handle with ease.

+1

And SSS rendering, please.

Edited by - night on 10/16/2013 05:16:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000