StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

stegor
Infrequent Poster

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  13:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything already mentioned plus:

A preference setting to turn off view persistency. For that matter, any time there's a big change in UI behavior like that it would be nice to have the option to override it. I have a tendency to end up with dozens of windows open and I've always relied on cleaning up by closing and reopening files. All the windows used to go away and reopen nice and clean, with the default view orientation and settings. I do not like persistent views!

Extend the object selection handles away from objects slightly, so you can select and move small objects.

Shift constrain when moving bezier points.

Make the "clone / share" texture feature work when importing objects and pasting objects from other files. In the type of work I do I end up with "Tube Powdercoating-1" through "Tube Powdercoating-32" and sometimes I have to change ALL of them to a different color.
Go to Top of Page

bbible
A Regular

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  11:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about adding a feature to the 'Suspend and Continue' in the rendering Window so that it would automatically Save every X number of minutes. This would be great on large files or for people doing batch jobs (or setting stuff up and going to lunch, bed, etc).

- Brad
Go to Top of Page

SkyArrow19
Infrequent Poster

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2013 :  15:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to the shift constraint while manipulating bezier points/controls (shift constraint works while actually drawing with the pen tool, just need to carry that same idea to the editing mode)

One I thought of the other day, and maybe it can already be done (I just haven't figured out how or been able to find anything on it) is to somehow link an object to be used as an antimatter on another object/shape/group, but ONLY on that specific object/shape/group. In other words it would subtract only from the assigned object/group/shape, but not from other data.

This kind of link would have been very cool to have on several projects I've worked on just in the last month alone.

"No single drop of rain believes it is to blame for the flood"
Go to Top of Page

Stonefield
Infrequent Poster

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  08:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off I have to commend the developers at Strata for surpassing themselves year after year with this product. I've been a professional Strata user since 1995 when it was StrataVision 3.0. You've come a long, long way and the product has matured really nicely.

That said, there are a few things I'd deeply love to find in Strata 3D 8.0 that I haven't noticed mentioned.

-Layers. It would be awesome to be able to group elements on various layers in a single document and turn them on and off as required. Working on different floors in the same building could be achieved by keeping all the basic elements on the primary layer. Partitions, furniture, lights and cameras on separate groupable layers.

-Dimensioning. I produce a lot of simple cabinets and displays in Strata which need to be produced quickly and inexpensively. The geometry is all there in the model I've created for illustration purposes. If I had a way to add some simple parametric dimensioning to those models, Strata would become an even more valuable work tool.

Amongst the already mentioned items I'd like to lend my support to,

-The ability to strip textures from multiple objects at once and the ability to strip all textures from the project.

-SketchUp support. Google has created a movement with their program, there's more content for SketchUp than I can wrap my head around. Collada is nice and all, but .SKP is the format that an awful lot of manufacturers are using to distribute models of their products.

-RenderPro or some other rendering distribution solution. No matter what the beast sitting on your desk is, there's never enough time to wait for the rendering you really want (and there's no money to buy multiple licenses of Strata just for rendering). Given the amount of requests for this since 2009, it really seems like Strata is dropping the ball on their customers.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1372 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2013 :  12:50:50  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Along this same lines as layers, I would like to se setup snapshots. A snapshot would set a model file to the status it was at the time you took the snapshot. I don't know if this could apply to the object geometry, but if it just applied to windows, cameras, lights, backgrounds, it would be a good start. Eventually textures, FX settings, etc.

I need to manage a bunch of different setups of the sam model when creating complicated photoshop art with lots of layers and transparencies. Knowing I can get back to the same setup for modifications of those images would be a great time saver and organizer as I set up the files.

Also a way to save a screen selection for repeated renders of the same area of the window. I now deal with this by multiplying the pixels of whatever area I select by a fixed number, then move things around in photoshop to match them up. Works but is not too elegant.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

bbible
A Regular

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  09:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with everything Stonefield said. Especially the layering function. It would be such a huge help - especially with large models or scenes to have this function - something that a lot of simpler 3D programs already have today.

To be able to add pieces or parts to different layers and hide/show them as needed would make accessing so much easier when designing.

- Brad
Go to Top of Page

bbible
A Regular

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  10:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think this might have been mentioned outside of this thread already but for the Subset Selection feature it would be nice to have some way to show that polys have already been selected (or what polys have?).

- Brad
Go to Top of Page

jimho
Infrequent Poster

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  13:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AutoSave needs to be added to Strata's capabilities. Some of us have limited capabilities in the memory department. Frequently, (yes, sadly, frequently)I get so involved with a modeling problem and then attempt a flawed Boolean, and I'm 2 hours behind the Eight-ball.

Please add an Auto-Save function!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

emgbeeker
Infrequent Poster

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  11:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are the animation updates? Strata really does have a fantastic renderer. The lighting and camera controls are intuitive and fluid. I use strata for a lot of animation work because it's easy to get around. The speed improvements both to Strata and hardware advances have made it feasible to render soft shadows and reflections. True radiance is still out of the question unless you have the time to chunk rendering to multiple machines. It's been frustrating to watch Strata fall behind the competition with respect to animation features. Perhaps we'll see some of the items on this list in subsequent releases:

- True edge detection on fountain objects so we can fill volumes.

- Advanced 2D sprite generators with blend modes...something akin to Particle Illusion.

- Natural motion where objects contained within a parent can move around and collide with one another as the parent object is moved.

- Parametric deformers...something in addition to the ubiquitous cage.

- Ability to morph polygon meshes over time. This kind of exists now and I do realize that adding to or removing from a mesh would be problematic to animate. However, it would be very nice to be able to keyframe vert movements. That is, in fact, what the deformers are doing on a larger scale.

- Object ordering and better spline control within the project palette.

- Undo buffer for the project palette. I don't know how many times I've created a set of complex keyframes then hit the delete key thinking I was removing some selected geometry only to realize that I've just nuked a boatload of critical keyframes. NO UNDO FOR YOU!

- A usable and intuitive IK system that doesn't crash.

- Parametric control over shape subsystems such as what Modo does with their rigs.

- Subsurface scattering.

- More robust procedural textures with parametric control.

- Cloud, fog and mist emitters that actually work.

- Improvements to animation render memory management. I have scenes that cannot be animated more than 2 frames before the out of memory error occurs...with 16GB of ram and several TB of hard disk space this should not be an issue.

- Cleaner subdivided surface rendering without have to crank the slider to 10 (Catmill Clark?)

- Improvements to motion blur and depth of field effects. These are painful to render. How about a zbuffer export option for animations so we can do it in post? (Yes the fog method works but you have to set up each scene for this and falloff values have to be completely guessed at)

- Distributed network node rendering. Manual file splitting and machine management is so 1994! Not to harp on this too much but other 3D animation packages also seem incapable of doing this properly. I realize machine specs change. But network protocols have been the same for years. If a rendering engine works on a local machine, why should it not be possible to render on similar computers connected across a LAN?

- Last but not least...a real scripting engine. I've become very frustrated by the lack of movement in this area. A lot of what's mentioned above could be done in scripting had we the time to invest in mastering Lua. It's great to plug a framework in and enable some commands but without documentation we're all pretty much excluded from the powers of Strata's scripting environment. Jquery is an amazing library precisely because of the immense amount of documentation one can access. It's also easy to grasp how it works and, given some time, one can do amazing things with it. Strata's lua documentation is a complete mess. I've poked my head in several times only to throw my hands up in frustration. There's simply no primer and I really don't have months to invest when there are imminently more powerful packages on the market that reliable provide most if not all of the features listed above. Not to be too prickly about it but how does a product like Blender offer so much for free in such a short period of time?

Sorry for the rant...I'm a long time Strata supporter and have happily paid for many upgrades over the years. I'm in your corner and want nothing but continued improvement for one of the all time 3D legends!

Edited by - emgbeeker on 03/15/2013 12:09:59
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  12:01:54  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"Cleaner subdivided surface rendering without have to crank the slider to 10 (Catmill Clark?)"

Design 3D uses a standard CC subdivision mechanism. Actually its 'Hybrid' mode gives you somewhat better results when triangles are present in the cage mesh.
Go to Top of Page

emgbeeker
Infrequent Poster

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  12:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks MrChristopher :-)

I've noticed the improved SDS with triangles. Unfortunately, those don't play nicely with Zbrush (where all sculpting and UV mapping is done for us).
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher
A Fountain of Information

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  12:58:18  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well for sure you can model without triangles. D3D can also subdivide in pure CC, not hybrid mode. Oh and I should note that I do agree with you about better animation abilities, would love to see them too.

Edited by - MrChristopher on 03/15/2013 13:39:50
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1372 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  14:27:41  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@emgbeeker
You express my feelings very well.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Vojt
Inquisitive

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  11:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't been here for a while. I'll be repeating some things just to add my "amen". I am dedicated to Strata and want it to continue to be excellent.
1. I am desperate for 64 bit - I run out of memory often, sometimes during a rendering, generally when I am ready to save a file I've been working on. It seems to me that the memory doesn't seem to "clear". I can be working, save a suspended rendering, close my file, start to render and BOOM, not enough memory. I restart Strata, add renderings to the queue: plenty of memory.
2. reorder objects in project window without grouping and ungrouping
3. Please separate the "delete event markers" command from the "snap event markers". I've screwed myself over and over hitting the delete instead of snap
4. Or a least set up "undo" for the event markers
5. Maybe you can already force this, but even when I move just one event marker at a time, it doesn't necessarily "snap". If I am trying to sync multiple objects I almost always have to use the snap command. I still don't see what use it is to have an event marker off of a frame. No matter how many event markers I move, I want them all to snap to a frame so that they register with other objects.
6. Along the same lines with, it would be great to be able to move event markers for different objects all at the same time.
7. It would be nice if an object's name would not be deleted every time I toggle back and forth between subdivide and unsubdivide.
8. Please bring back RenderPro.
9. IGES/STP import, please
10. More consistant clone/share textures; doesn't seem to always work
Go to Top of Page

nooknik
Infrequent Poster

Thailand
8 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  01:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
render lightmap
Go to Top of Page

Nicholas8681
A Regular

384 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  20:30:07  Show Profile  Send Nicholas8681 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Its really nice to see Strata still going. Miss the old community.
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
730 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  12:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we see a U3D export which would allow us to generate a 3D_PDF using Acrobat 11 pro I believe.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  11:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I go true PSD works for the U3D or stratalive works quite well too
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
730 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  10:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped using StrataLive because the 3D pdf'f it was creating didn't work on all Readers.

Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  15:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like the ability to undo changes to keyframes in the timeline for animation. As far as I know, any shifts to timing in the projects palette aren't able to be undone...Actually, the history system in general could use improving. Anyone who's used Maya knows how great it is to be able to go back to virtually any changed attribute and alter it, even after saving, closing the program and working on it the next day. In Strata...my history is wiped every time I switch to editing a new object.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000