StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Ahmad Johari
Infrequent Poster

Malaysia
19 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  05:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really would like to see true instancing support implemented in Strata that can handle unlimited number of multiple instances such as trees in a render scene. I often do architectural renderings with lush greenery and landscaping, thus having this feature would help a lot.

Also something similar to vray scatter or multi-scatter would be extremely useful. I have seen something similar in sketch up called component spray. Now wouldn't it would be great if we could adopt something like that in strata.

Ahmad.
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  12:46:12  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahmad, I have never heard any suggestion that Strata's instancing was not true instancing. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

Jean
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1391 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  22:16:03  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
perhaps he means instancing with random size and rotation variation, or maybe he means instancing on the order of millions of copies like you can do with landscape programs like Vue or Terragen?

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 11/19/2012 14:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Ahmad Johari
Infrequent Poster

Malaysia
19 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  23:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply. My humble apologies for the delay in my response due to the 12 hours time difference. I hope its not a hindrance to this discussion.

My experience with strata's instancing in CX7 so far is that I can only work with a limited number of instances in a render scene without running out of memory.

In previous versions this issue is managed better with the "Minimize Memory Usage" button which is no longer available in the current version. As a result I often run into memory issues when dealing with complex scenes with a huge number of instanced trees and greeneries which was never an issue before, prior to CX6 version I think.

The only work around I could find in CX7 would be to render the scene in separate passes which has become quite a hassle and time consuming exercise.

I think Strata could do with a more efficient memory management system at the moment in order to handle bigger render scenes which is a very common thing in arch viz nowadays and I believe that this can unlock Strata's true potential. Lately my designers have started to shy away from Strata due to this issue as they found that the problem can at times be quite terminal in a production environment with very tight deadlines.

I do hope that this issue would go away when Strata moves up to 64 bit in the next version so that it can remain relevant in our production pipeline.

Ahmad.
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  11:53:56  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ahmad. No problem with the delay. :) Thanks for the additional information.

I believe Strata's instancing is true instancing, but certainly improving render time memory handling of instances would be very welcome. You are certainly correct that we have lost a render-time memory handling option with instances, and I do believe there are newer memory handling schemes (render buckets?), in addition to 64 bit memory handling, that could help with this. I think continuing developments in this area are very important.

Jean

Edited by - jpro on 11/17/2012 11:54:48
Go to Top of Page

isis
A Regular

United Kingdom
227 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2012 :  05:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Having used strata since 1.5 it is staggering how hard you guys have worked to bring it on each upgrade and more importantly recently enlisted the help of us users to suggest was to improve. keep up the hard work.

But i have some suggestions that would make my life better ;)

1.) Some form of 'render farm' or network rendering function. Strata used to have render pro but this was dropped. An improved version with management (like a print server) and distribution controls would be fantastic.

2.) 'stack based object info' similar to Max ie if you start with a loft then convert to poly mesh etc you can go back to the spline in the stack. At present I do this by stage saving shapes but its time consuming and makes the shape navi bar overcrowded.

3.) AUTOSAVE - please can we have this. I have found the better strata has got the more stable it has become but easier to crash it by wetware failure (ie ooh if I can do that can I do this.... Click... Crash.... Err that will be no then!) and no back up. (Again wetware failure how hard is it to press apple S? But we all forget.)

4.) the uv mapping is my new best friend. It would be great to make some more improvements. I often sacrifice geometry for higher res image files linked to pshop so any way to export the uv grid (square bit only) at designated sizes would be a massive help.

4a) while I'm on pshop texture linking is there a way you could make it so that it links direct to the master file and somehow have strata handle the group compression? Rather than having to export from pshop... Not a great request more addressing my laziness hence only 4a ;)

5) sketch up import... Seems like all the other 3D packages are building this in to read native .skp files.

6) better modelling window navigation similar to silo and max ie mouse based zoom rotate pan etc. (already requested on here)

7) rename help ..."what would JPro and MrChristopher do?"

Many thanks

Chris

Edited by - isis on 11/18/2012 05:44:59
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2012 :  17:26:32  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Isis, I think you can still do this, but it's a bit manual.

First, you install Strata on multiple machines but don't serialize it. Then create your rda files that you want to render out. Then move them to the appropriate machine and open the file by just double-clicking on it. It should just open Strata and start rendering. I know I used to do this in version 6 I believe.

Can anyone else confirm that this is still possible in 7?
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2012 :  17:27:58  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd asked for this before, but haven't seen it yet.

I'd like to select a vertex point and then go to the object palette and type in the X, Y, and Z coordinates for that exact point. I want complete spacial control numerically of every point on a polygon.
Go to Top of Page

colorjaws
A Regular

205 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2012 :  04:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the same way in controlling object:
It would be nice to parameter the basic shapes e.g.:
- to give the exact numbers of vertex a cylinder is made of.
- to be able to give a cube a defined numbers of vertex on x;y,z axis.
- when doing a lathe tool I found it difficult to make the object simple, because segments are not exactly the numbers of vertex it's more random.
Go to Top of Page

polliao
Infrequent Poster

China
47 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  21:38:41  Show Profile  Visit polliao's Homepage  Send polliao a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i would love to see version 8 to be a little similar to solidworks'transformation and precision esp.you're doing many parts by parts. Maybe specific scale too, say scale 1:4 or scale 1:1/4'' and so on.

naphaboc
Go to Top of Page

Duncan
Regularly Helpful

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  16:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Duncan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ability to save unique modeling views. A nice little drop down menu up there on the task bar would allow me to save a view, name it, and display all views in a selection list. I use this feature while modeling and navigating in my CAD app, and it is SO much more efficient than panning and zooming and rotating the view. Even better, make it a contextual menu! Wow, I could really use that right now.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1391 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  16:55:19  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have the view rotate around the selected object or polygons, not the view focal point.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

Duncan
Regularly Helpful

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  12:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Duncan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With a single object that's fine. A complex model (particularly architectural) begs for a more precise approach.
Go to Top of Page

jpro

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  13:23:22  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DMac, I think Britt is just adding another request, not recommending that as an alternate approach to your request. Besides saved views, I would love to have a turntable view: let 'er spin, and sit back and watch while resting the hands.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

SkyArrow19
Infrequent Poster

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  15:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

I'm fairly new to Strata (having previously worked in another 3D modeling/rendering software) and while there are a number of things that I feel Strata does extremely well, there are certainly a few that I think could be vastly improved upon.

My number one request is a simple modeling feature - controlled rounding/beveling of corners. The ability to simply select a face/edge/point and then enter a radius would just about make me cry with joy. I know that this can be done in strata...sort of. But what I am pining for is the super quick method I have experienced with other software.

Number two on the list is to have more powerful / more reliable boolean operations. It is my understanding that booleans are more of a "brute force" method of modeling and not the "preferred" way and I can appreciate that. But having said that, I (and the rest of us in the office) don't always have time to model things in the preferred way and we just need to hog stuff out quickly (even if the geometry isn't perfect).

Another item (far less of a priority for me than the previous two) would be to have some way to organize textures into different groups. I often have to use many many many many different textures maps and it can start becoming a pain to navigate. If there was a way to nest different textures together within folders and sub folders, I think it would certainly help me keep things organized. But again, thats not a deal breaker for me.

All in all, I think Strata is a good program and I will definitely give props for the rendering engine and lighting tools...by far the best I've ever worked with! My biggest frustrations so far all occur on the front end modeling level.

Cheers all!
Go to Top of Page

SkyArrow19
Infrequent Poster

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  10:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing I thought of that would be great (if it isn't already possible): ability to import Google SketchUp models with textures.

"No single drop of rain believes it is to blame for the flood"
Go to Top of Page

Kevco
Admin

434 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  12:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SkyArrow19, the booleans in CX 7 is using a new boolean engine library. The old CX 6 and earlier boolean engine was very finicky and more "brute force" as you say. However the new boolean's in CX 7 are far better.
Go to Top of Page

bbible
A Regular

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  11:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IGES & STP imports

- Brad
Go to Top of Page

Metzen
Infrequent Poster

4 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  14:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Metzen's Homepage  Send Metzen an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
With the advent and explosion of 3D Printer popularity, Strata should jump on the bandwagon with STL import/export and maybe a STL "repair" feature ala netFabb Studio.

I enjoy modelling in Strata and my workflow is:
Take model from Thingiverse -> import in Sketchup -> Export to dae -> Import in Strata -> fix scale -> model -> export to dae -> import in Sketchup -> Export to STL -> netfabb to fix STL errors -> Save STL

I would love a feature that allows me to stay within the preferred Strata environment.
Go to Top of Page

BlademanUnitPi
A Regular

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:38:51  Show Profile  Visit BlademanUnitPi's Homepage  Send BlademanUnitPi an AOL message  Click to see BlademanUnitPi's MSN Messenger address  Send BlademanUnitPi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a UV rendering option Lets say I put together and place stuff on a model using 2 or more textures. Some thing that can made that into one texture. something that will let me export my 3d model to other programs looking as awesome as it does in strata. Some tools to make it easy to export that multi texture look in UV maps.

Also did anyone say any thing about rendering to MPOs or stereo avi?

Edited by - BlademanUnitPi on 01/21/2013 08:55:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000