StrataCafe Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 StrataCafe
 Strata Design 3D CX
 Design 3D 8.0 - What would you like to see?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1376 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2014 :  10:11:39  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NDAs prevent discussion of future releases of the software, so you are going to be frustrated by asking. Sorry...

Britt
Go to Top of Page

MarkG
Inquisitive

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2014 :  08:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't asking for details, just an acknowledgment that it is in the works. Surely it is in the best interests of the company to communicate that the software is still being developed.

There have been other programs where the marketing division has continued in full swing for a period after software development has ceased...

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Strata user since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2014 :  13:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're definitely working hard on a new release - and there are a number of key features that you guys have been asking for that will be included. This thread has produced many good ideas that won't make it into the release but are on our list for future possible additions.

Thanks for your input everybody. We hope to give you information soon about a timeline.
Go to Top of Page

markomark
Infrequent Poster

37 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2015 :  19:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOW ABOUT A PROGRAM THAT DOES NOT CRASH!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2015 :  14:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're certainly fixing bugs as part of our ongoing development. Based on your all-caps post (with four exclamation marks) I'm guessing you're having some particular problems. Have you contacted support to see if we can help you work out the problems your having?

Design 3D is a very stable product, so I think we should be able to help you improve your experience.
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  19:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actual TEXT tools that work like Photoshop / AI and well almost every other software out there, with alignment, like center/left/right and font height and spacing needs to be vastly improved.

And the ability to apply text to a path or curve. Using the "path" part of the text tool is very.... primitive and unfunctionally tedious (to put it mildly).

Also would be great to assign dedicated Scratch Disk and extra memory allocation.

Text to path, something like this:
Image Insert:

Edited by - MrTickTock on 01/19/2015 20:05:56
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  19:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ken,

I have to agree with markomark, I have a Mac Pro with 32GB of Ram which allows me to run Photoshop, AI, AE, Premiere, Logic Pro and a few other things at same time in full power, and yet Strata seems to have an internal issue and CONSTANTLY reports out of memory errors or actually beach-ball-of-death and then crashes.

Though Strata has it pros, this issue is a major annoyance and is NOT the definition of stable.

Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  20:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AGREE WITH THIS! My mac pro runs 32 GB ram and mass HD space available, sucks that Strata can't assign a scratch disk like AE.

quote:
Originally posted by markomark

Go to Top of Page

MrTickTock
A Regular

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  20:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AUTO-BU-SAVE would be another REALLY great feature...

Was working on a design for the past hour and on final edit, right before saving, I received the endless beachball of death and then crashed... now to start over.

Sure, I'm an idiot for not saving earlier, but would be a nice feature to have running in background.
Go to Top of Page

markomark
Infrequent Poster

37 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  22:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markomark

I have been using Strata since Mac 2 days when it was the ONLY game in town..and that was a LONG time ago.yet, it's very disheartening.. I have seen so many programs eclipse Strata.. and yet to this day.. once I hit X amount of models in the file.. CRASH! I have a clean and clear setup, no extra services running and yet it just crashes. No Autosave, no way to recover. Sure, other software crashes.. but at least I have a way to recover. (fusion, blender, RhinoCAD). I get that its a surface modeler and has many limitations.. but when I am working on a deadline..it just gets old.
I know writing software is no walk in the park..just thought I would share..Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ken Bringhurst
A Regular

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  22:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Ken Bringhurst's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I can say, without doing a pre-annoucnement, is that we're working on the issues you guys are bringing up. Not every feature that you're asking for will be addressed, but I think you'll be pleased with what we're doing and how it will impact your workflow and ability to work with large data sets.
Go to Top of Page

Manevitch
Infrequent Poster

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  10:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For budgeting purposes in my workgroup, is there a ballpark ETA? Are we talking about a release in 2015 or beyond? Purely theoretically, of course...

--
Lee
Go to Top of Page

MacSavers
A Regular

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  11:06:28  Show Profile  Visit MacSavers's Homepage  Send MacSavers an AOL message  Click to see MacSavers's MSN Messenger address  Send MacSavers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was kinda surprised we didn't see an update in 2014 myself.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  15:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, I think that this next update has alot to live up to... Hoping they can impress everybody...it'll take alot to do that.
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  15:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, CX is VERY stable on my New MacPro (cylinder style). I have been using this app for many years. I often go into long stretches of photo only workflow, and although I get a bit "rusty", the mostly intuitive, very "Mac like" interface makes it workable to jump back in.
THere are some tools I would like to see updated/improved. And there's nothing I wouldn't give to see Sub Surface Scattering. But this software offers excellent feature=value. And when you get stumped, nobody beats the forum denizens here. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  11:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't argue that the interface is simple and makes easing into the concept of working in 3D a little less jarring. I think where Strata has gotten itself into trouble is that it has not made the "major" changes to its framework through the years that would let it keep up with all the current improvements in workflow that professionals have come to expect...

Perfect examples include
-A project palette that does not allow you to move and organize items...that erases your item names every time you subdivide... does not let you rename items the same thing you named them before...and that allows animated keyframes to be stuck between fractions of frames

-A history system that clears itself every time you enter or exit "item edit" mode

-A navigation system that does not even allow for zooming in and out using the scroll wheel

And this is just scratching the surface...people might have differing opinions on the limitations of the tool-set, and how things like imported illustrator paths with holes continually come in incorrectly, and how using certain deformers or working with large groups of items decrease stability exponentially, and how the program is not even 64-bit yet...

...but what it comes down to is this, most professionals aren't willing to use a workflow that includes all of these things. There is a narrow range of types of 3D work in which Strata performs acceptably, but is it anything that a combination Cheetah, Blender or Wings can't handle?...or save up your money for a few months and buy MODO for a huge explosion in efficiency that would, for alot of pros, pay for itself?

I don't want to sound so depressed...it's just when I look at Strata, I see this incredible potential of user-friendly functionality that is not being developed past workflows that existed a decade and a half ago...and I am rooting for Strata to change that with this next release! I hope they do...
Go to Top of Page

Stratagizer
A Regular

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  14:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some valid points Wally B.
But just one suggestion: Next time . . . don't sugarcoat it!
Go to Top of Page

Wally_B
A Regular

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  16:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Stratagizer
Hahaha...yeah, I know...I'm sorry
I wasn't trying to be unpleasant...I'm just hoping the developers are listening. That they clean up some of the weird, backwards functionality of the basic features and modernize Strata a bit. Boom! Strata becomes awesome again!
Go to Top of Page

emgbeeker
Infrequent Poster

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  09:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Wally_B.

Came here looking for news of an update and re-read this thread. While reviewing the postings, I Noticed a feature request I made way back on March of 2013. Can't believe we've gone almost two years without a major feature release! I personally don't consider 7.5 a major release. I know that may sound indifferent to some but I was expecting much more considering the reputation of this product.

We've begun integrating modo into our workflow. I have to say, the interface is nowhere near as refined as Strata Design 3D, but it more than makes up for that with an unprecedented feature list. I don't want this to turn into a praise-post for the competition. I love the accessibility of Strata but we just can't wait another year for meaningful progress in the feature department. I may purchase the upgrade, when it comes, for personal use but I just can't recommend this package for 3D production at our site any longer窶ヲthere's just too many options out there that eclipse strata. Even zBrush has a polygonal modeler now.

A sad day indeed :-(
Go to Top of Page

Hopper2
Regularly Helpful

USA
731 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  09:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See gallery for details of my request. As well as folding up Illustrator documents Esko will create 3D_pdf's.

http://www.stratacafe.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14925

Hopper

Edited by - Hopper2 on 02/27/2015 09:26:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000