New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tegean
Infrequent Poster

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  15:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty much a novice in modeling with Strata 3D CX (5.5), but I've managed to solve most problems I've encountered. This one, however, has defeated me. I'm trying to create an object that resembles a limp pancake (about 6 inches in diameter and about half an inch thick, with a piece "bitten" out of one side of it) shaped as if it were draped over a cylinder. When I convert my primitive, a flat cylinder, into a polygon mesh object and then carefully move all the vertices until I have what I want and then try to render it, the result is a mess, with half of one face missing, the top surface caved in, etc.--in other words, a shape that only vaguely resembles the polygon mesh object that I've just constructed.
If anybody can tell from this description what I may be doing wrong, I'd appreciate hearing what it is. Should I not be working with a polygon mesh? Is there a better way to construct this kind of object? Why the difference between the modeled object and the rendition?
Thanks.

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  15:55:15  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you can post a wireframe and an openGL screen capture of the object, I expect you will get a solution. I am betting you do not have enough geometry for the warping effect.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 04/28/2011 15:55:35
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  17:26:21  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it sounds like the top and bottom faces are single polygons, without the necessary subdivision to bend.

You might be able to pick up some clues here http://www.stratacafe.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7764 but I agree with britt, you will get much better help if you post an image of your own model.

When you read that old topic, be aware that the first images are wrong: that individual changed the images he had posted, probably without realizing this would become a reference thread. When you get to the images I posted, though, the correct images are there to illustrate the solution.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Tegean
Infrequent Poster

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  20:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to both of you. Yes, Jean, I see that the top and bottom faces were single polygons.
Yesterday I tried using bezier curves to create the top and bottom surfaces and a third between them in order to use the skin tool, but the tool wouldn't work, which I guess means each surface was a 2D region, right? If so, I'm going to try and hull (which I haven't done before) to see what happens. I'll post the model my first message referred to--but can you tell me how that's done? I'm not seeing any directions for that on the site.
Go to Top of Page

jpro
A Fountain of Information

USA
4991 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  22:38:12  Show Profile  Visit jpro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How to Add an Image to a Post:

Your file has to be smallish: I think 90k or less. You can post the standard web graphic formats if you want to share an image; if you want to share a model file, be sure to zip it. S3D, OBJ, DAE, AI, etc. are not accepted unless they are zipped.

To attach or upload an image, you must use the "Reply to Topic" link at the top or bottom of the page. You cannot use the quick reply box at the bottom.

When using the Reply to Topic link, you are taken to a more complete text editing box, with a link immediately below the text area for attaching or inserting an image. Use that link to select your file from your hard drive and upload it.

That's how I did the image below as an example. If you upload a zip file, you will get a missing image icon on your link unless you edit the code. You don't have to worry about that, though, the link will work anyway

Image Insert:

39.02 KB

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Tegean
Infrequent Poster

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  15:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the last post. This image is just for the record, because I think it's obvious that the model doesn't have the vertices to allow the top and bottom surfaces to curve without splintering. Now, let's see if I can figure out how that's done . . .

Download Attachment: leaf 2.s3d.zip
7.9 KB
Go to Top of Page

Tegean
Infrequent Poster

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  15:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D--n it! Wha hoppen?
Go to Top of Page

Tegean
Infrequent Poster

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  15:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D--n it! Wha hoppen?
Go to Top of Page

Tegean
Infrequent Poster

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  15:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm baffled. I took the polygon mesh model that I posted (and which had never turned out right) and rendered it as a polygon group; there was some fracturing. Then I rendered it as a polygon mesh (for the hundredth time) and it came out looking pretty good! --with smooth surfaces top and bottom.
I don't understand any of this, and have the suspicion that the next shape I try will give me the same problems, but I don't want to take up any more of your time with this.
Go to Top of Page

Tegean
Infrequent Poster

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  16:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm baffled. I took the polygon mesh model that I posted (and which had never turned out right) and rendered it as a polygon group; there was some fracturing. Then I rendered it as a polygon mesh (for the hundredth time) and it came out looking pretty good! --with smooth surfaces top and bottom.
I don't understand any of this, and have the suspicion that the next shape I try will give me the same problems, but I don't want to take up any more of your time with this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000