New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ArtB
Infrequent Poster

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  00:33:17  Show Profile
As the holidays approach, I thought it would be nice to make my greeting card cover with Strata. I was doing fine until I tried to create the nutcracker - it is complete except for the cotton ball style hair that would cover the upper part of the head. I can't seem to tweak the hair FX to get the level of fuzzyness I want, and I really don't want to have to resort to editing the rendered graphic (I'm not an artist). Can anyone provide some tips on how to get a cotton ball look that can be linked to a 1/2 hollow sphere? Once the model is done, I will try to figure out how to post it to the resource pool for others to play with.

Thanks
Art.

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  10:47:54  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
You might start with the preset "Curly Q" and then refine the settings and cranking the density up to 400% or so. Some experimentation is in order.

Britt
Go to Top of Page

ArtB
Infrequent Poster

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  11:09:40  Show Profile
Thanks Britt - but I gave up on using the hair textures. My final (not great, but good enough for my purposes) result was to:
- create an ngon that followed the curve of the head and added some thickness.
- lathed ngon 200 degrees and adjusted diameter to correct size
- photographed some shredded cotton balls on a black background, photoshopped to tweak contrast and size and converted to 8-bit grey.
- applied image as diffuse color, diffuse and bump
To get around the issue of having flat ends on the lathed image, I added a path down the middle of the ngon then did a path extrude with an oval to create a rounded front edge. I tried using the Strata tools to round the edges of a Polygon mesh version of the lathe, but doing so resulting in some serious graphic issues (not just within Strata) that forced me to reboot (blind).

As soon as I get permission to upload the model, I will be putting it in the gallery. If anyone can show me how to round the ngon without having to use extra objects, I would be greatly appreciative.

Art.
Go to Top of Page

tbgriswold
Regularly Educational

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  11:40:07  Show Profile  Visit tbgriswold's Homepage
I think I need to see your Ngon before I could offer advice.

Britt

Edited by - tbgriswold on 11/28/2008 11:57:16
Go to Top of Page

ArtB
Infrequent Poster

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  21:33:26  Show Profile
Thanks to Mike for getting me through the foibles of uploading a model - the nutcracker is available for use - happy holidays all.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000