TexturePaint
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davpi
Infrequent Poster

3 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  14:20:20  Show Profile
Can you give us more details on TexturePaint, both in Strata and CS4? What formats are supported, types of mapping, any limits to an objects complexity, etc? Will this eliminate the need for learning UV mapping? Texturing a bowl is one thing, a model of a human is another.

Thanks,
David

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  15:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
Hi David,

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask about "What formats are supported" but I'll try to answer the rest of your questions as best I can.

Photoshop CS4 Extended relies upon UV mapping for its 3D objects. While Strata does the best it can to convert all its object's texture maps to a UV map before passing the object to Ps to obtain the best results means that you should still learn UV Mapping and create your own UV maps when the results we provide may not suit your needs.

As far as I know there are no limits to an object's complexity.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

MrChristopher

USA
2220 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  00:40:41  Show Profile  Send MrChristopher an AOL message
Photoshop CS4 Extended can UV map the object for you. It uses an algorithm that is often called Atlas mapping. It can also show you the UV map generated inside of a mapping layer if you want. What Photoshop does is handle distortion behind the scenes as you paint on an object and apply layer information to a 3D object. It's actually very interesting. What won't work so well is then diving into the layer information for these 3D object and try and paint directly on them (although you can do this). When you paint on an object Photoshop wants to assign various layers to Diffuse, Specular, etc. You can jump into these sub-layers and paint directly on them and then observe how that then applies to the 3D object in a similar fashion to how Smart Objects work. But if you paint on these sub-layers directly then you become responsible for how your painting distorts or applies to the object.

That being said what PSD tries to do is remove some of the complexity from the user when it comes to UV mapping by doing some cool behind the scenes math which takes care of UV distortions.

HOWEVER, Photoshop can easily use 3D objects that have UV information already encoded in them. So for a user who has taken the time and effort to UV an object, you can happily take that into Photoshop and work with the data there. So if you UV map something in Wings3D and export that as an OBJ file, PSD can import that OBJ file with UV information intact. You can use all of Photoshops painting tools to paint away on the object.

So there is flexibility. I like to think about it as a top-down or bottom-up approach to UV mapping. The top down approach is one where you as the user don't want to have to think too much about the UV process and then let Photoshop take care of it. It's neat you can do it this way but there are some limitations with the approach. The bottom up is where you take care of the UV process. In the long run this tends to give you the user the most control but the nice thing is it's not an absolute necessity. For instance Photoshop will take care of painting across UV islands (which are common for Atlas mapping) and make it look fairly seamless as you paint on the object.

Ok, this is a long description but it is kind of cool to paint directly on objects in Photoshop. You can then send that data back over to Strata either by exporting the object as an OBJ file or doing a direct transport with the plugin.
Go to Top of Page

davpi
Infrequent Poster

3 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  08:01:45  Show Profile
Thanks for the answers. The reference to .obj was what I meant by supported formats.
So, I can model in Silo (or Strata), assign UV maps (something I'm still trying to get a handle on), export as an obj into CS4, paint the texture and export back into Strata for rendering. Correct?

David
Go to Top of Page

Brian Lawson

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  08:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
If you have Strata 3D CX 5.6 you don't need to use the OBJ format. CX includes plug-ins which will directly transfer the model between Strata and Photoshop. This is where the TexturePaint Ready part comes in, CX will process the model so it includes all the material maps which CS4 uses.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000