Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom McConnell
Inquisitive

50 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  15:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Tom McConnell's Homepage
Brian Lawsen,
This one is for you or company personel only. Please read this and respond. Tech support from DAZ wrote this to me:

If a visitor to your website must download a copy of the 3D model of our figures onto the computer over the internet in order to view the graphics on your website, that is considered redistribution and not permitted under the EULA. It doesn't matter that the visitor doesn't realize that the 3D model (vrml) has been transferred to his computer. It doesn't matter that the visitor will not copy or otherwise use the vrml. The mere fact that it is transferred over the internet to another party's computer is a violation of the EULA.

My question is, does the 3D model actually download from website to visitor computer?

Brian Lawson
A Fountain of Information

USA
5217 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  16:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Brian Lawson's Homepage  Send Brian Lawson an AOL message
When you wish to communicate with me privately you should send me an e-mail. A public forum is not the place to post a message meant for specific people only.

No, the 3D model (vrml) has not been downloaded to the viewer's computer. Obviously the files needed to view the web page are, that is how it works, right? There must be some 3D data embedded into the java files or the model could not be viewed but no, a useable copy of the model which someone else could then work on is not downloaded.

Brian Lawson
Strata Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  16:13:04  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
Generally speaking, the model geometry and texture are "obscure" but not "secure." That is, both the texture and geometry are compressed using proprietary algorithms that we do not disclose to anyone. That means that to get back that geometry and texture, one would have to go to extreme reverse-engineering measures. Not at all impossible, but certainly a lot more work than just creating a new 3D model from scratch.

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page

Tom McConnell
Inquisitive

50 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  17:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Tom McConnell's Homepage
Brian,
It was not private, but it did need to be answered by qualified personnel and others will benefit from this.
Sorry for the confusion.

Joshua,
I understand. It is hard to enjoy building my website and protecting everyone involved.

Thanks both of you,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

jesmith
A Regular

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  17:14:43  Show Profile  Visit jesmith's Homepage
For what it's worth, I've talked to turbosquid about these issues in the past, and they believe that interactive 3D *is* allowed under their "Public Performance" EULA.

-Joshua
Go to Top of Page

Tom McConnell
Inquisitive

50 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  15:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Tom McConnell's Homepage
DAZ is reviewing and will get back to me.
Go to Top of Page

Tom McConnell
Inquisitive

50 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  00:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Tom McConnell's Homepage
DAZ, Says no. If it downloads 3D info in any way it is a violation of their EULA.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrataCafe Forums © 2009 StrataCafe Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000